Lucky for you, we know how to disguise our “elegant” products as “debonair,” and our “cute” stamps as “dapper.” Want evidence? Check out this card:

We cut a piece of die-cut circle paper, leaving just the attractive, curvaceous edge and manly hues of Twilight, Bamboo, and Desert Sand. A sepia photo lends Old World charm, while Antique Copper brads hint at the manly arts (we’re not sure what they are, but we know they include power tools). And we stamped the otherwise adorable birdie in dark Twilight and sponged the edges in Chocolate for a musky, masculine look. The man in your life will never suspect how absolutely adorable that same bird is when stamped in a light shade of Amethyst! Just remember not to spill the beans.
Do you have any tricks for making a man-card? Tell us about them! We’ll draw a winner at random to receive the Felicity Collection—a Close To My Heart exclusive kit just for National Papercrafting Month. Come back tomorrow to see if you won!

247 comments:
«Oldest ‹Older 1 – 200 of 247 Newer› Newest»-
trishkj
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM
-
Kristi Richburg
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM
-
LivingLife
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM
-
JodiLynn
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM
-
Julie
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM
-
Donna
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM
-
Maya Holmes
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM
-
Elaine Hollander
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM
-
Tracy
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM
-
Marcie
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM
-
Tina Patten
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM
-
Erica
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM
-
Sandy
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM
-
A.Jones4ever@yahoo.com
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM
-
Crazy Busy Mom
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM
-
Me Again
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:35 AM
-
Amy Gehring
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM
-
Hanna Ahn
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:41 AM
-
Crystal Pledger
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM
-
Paige Dolecki
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM
-
Korine
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM
-
Cheri Hill
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM
-
Denise
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM
-
M&M Fox
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM
-
AZconservativeMOM
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM
-
Carolann
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM
-
Kathy G
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM
-
TJ
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM
-
Bobbi Nessly
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM
-
Joanna Franke
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM
-
Alexis Crossland-Smith
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM
-
Michelle
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM
-
Wendy K.
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM
-
Annapurna
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM
-
Kristi
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM
-
Tanya
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM
-
Deb
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM
-
Denise...The Glitter Queen
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:33 AM
-
Christine David
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM
-
deemonty
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM
-
Patty Williams
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM
-
Memories for Life
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM
-
Michele
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM
-
Sarah Raddatz
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM
-
Traci
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM
-
Jen
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM
-
Becky
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:01 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:01 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM
-
Joyce Wang
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM
-
Cindy Vernon
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM
-
Flair Girl
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM
-
Noreen Smith
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM
-
naomimade@comcast.net
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM
-
Amy
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM
-
Karen
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM
-
Michelle Nist
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM
-
Barbra OTten
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM
-
Erin
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM
-
Erin
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM
-
Amanda
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM
-
sgoodbrand
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM
-
Nicole
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM
-
Jean
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM
-
Lori L
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM
-
This Is My Fibro
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM
-
Pam Long
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM
-
Dicki
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM
-
Lisa Fowler Windsor, CO
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:22 PM
-
Manhattan Mandie
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM
-
Keeley Kirwan
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM
-
Jill (Scrap Wench)
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:31 PM
-
LeAnne
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM
-
Dory G
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM
-
CaninosArtisticCafe
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM
-
Parchey Family
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM
-
Amy Ulen
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM
-
Nalazoo
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM
-
indyladygeek
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM
-
triciagall
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM
-
Betty
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM
-
Mary E.
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM
-
Erin L
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM
-
lacey
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM
-
Gail Vought
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM
-
Pam
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM
-
Diane
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM
-
KathyK.
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:42 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM
-
Nicole
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:52 PM
-
AudreyMc1
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM
-
mickyg
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM
-
Myra Grodzuk
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM
-
Danica T
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM
-
Michelle Bryden
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:12 PM
-
Sherry Hawa
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM
-
Jennifer
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM
-
debcc
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM
-
Semi Granola Mom
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM
-
Leah
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM
-
Special T Scrapbooks
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM
-
Shauna
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM
-
Vicki Wizniuk
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM
-
Lindsay Harrison
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM
-
Sarah Jarocki
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM
-
aggie
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM
-
monicac
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM
-
Joyce
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM
-
Shannon
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM
-
swmrmom
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM
-
J and B
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM
-
Laura
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM
-
Becky G.
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM
-
Jenn
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM
-
Charity Becker
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM
-
Joanne
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM
-
Cupcake Stamper
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM
-
Sheila H
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM
-
Sheila Bennett
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM
-
LARAINE
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM
-
Helen Van Daalen
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM
-
Kerry Junop
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM
-
Kristie
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM
-
Terrie Mathison
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM
-
Rebekah Fitch ~ Scrappy Scents
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM
-
Melinda
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:44 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM
-
patiogreen
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM
-
JJ
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM
-
Tonya W
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM
-
Darlene Clawson
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM
-
Christine Abele
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM
-
Kerri W
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM
-
Laney's Legacy's
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM
-
Haley D., the Inky Scrapper
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM
-
Di Crawford
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM
-
Denise G
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:01 PM
-
Tami
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM
-
SandraTx
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:09 PM
-
Vikki
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM
-
Julie Mutch
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM
-
Linda Shewchuk
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM
-
Julie Decker-CTMH Independent Consultant
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM
-
Michelle
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM
-
Barbi
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM
-
Stacey Barrows
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM
-
Anonymous
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM
-
Roberta Dermody
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM
-
cass
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM
-
Dan and Connie
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM
-
Unknown
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM
-
lil megan
said...
-
-
January 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM
«Oldest ‹Older 1 – 200 of 247 Newer› Newest»I really like that card! I do struggle with masculine cards. I wonder what our male consultants have to say about this. Hmmm....
My husband likes anything that is mechanical in nature, so I have made him cards that have movable parts in a grungy style. For his birthday: A card with a spinning wheel with fun activities that he would enjoy.
I usually use darker shades of green, brown, and blue. Or, if I know their favorite sports team (college or professional) I'll use those colors to create a design.
I try for more neutral colors and if there's a car in it, it's a winner.
I do know that my husband is disappointed now if it is not a handmade card. So please provide us with more ideas.
Barb K Tinley Park, IL
not so much a trick but one of the wonderful things about paper crafting is that we can suit it to who we're making it for - so I experiment with color schemes for who I'm making a card for and what color or colors they like & it is amazing, personal and one of kind every time and since it's something hand made even the men in my life really appreciate & love that it came from the heart!
The color combinations are great on this card! I truly love the outdoors, TomBoy to the core, but by adding in hint of finesse and elegance and WOW! The out comes are amazing. I like to use the earthy tones for the masculine cards and layouts that I make. Inking or distressing the edges really can make these layouts pop! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE CTMH!
I simply use browns, greens, and blues. I have the Little Boys stamp set, and it works for big boys too.
I always have trouble with masculine cards
Thanks for the good laugh this morning!
For anything "manly", I personally love CTMH's Back Country paper! I used these papers for birthday and father's day cards at an event and it was a huge hit!
Love the card! I'm very new at this but the listed suggestions have my wheels turning! :)
I don't have any tricks
Great card it is hard to find a nice male card. THanks for a great idea!
I tend to stick to "manly" colors, blues, greens and plaids when I am doing a manly card...flowers, pastels and girly things are generally out! I generally only do cards for my father and husband (who are really the only men in my life who actually appreciate the card...the others are oblivous) and then it is only for birthdays and father's day so it is pretty simple to create a themed card for those events that are generic or manly.
Using darker colors and neutrals, roughing up the page with inks, files and edge distressor, and using hemp and twill ribbon.
Just make sure you leave off the glitter!!
I use more "masculine" colors and Man" up some embellishments (hammer down brads to look like nails, use the sanding kit to rough up brads, phot hanges, phot clips)
I love the blue and browns together and the autumn terracotta makes for a great addition to add a rustic touch.
I use the darker colos and the distressing techniques.
I use the earth tone colors. It makes it easy if the man has a hoby such as: Fishing, Golfing, Woodworking, Sports. Using twine instead of ribbon is also a manly embellishment. I have also use fishing line with some hooks attached-"I'm HOOKED on you!" I think that will be my Valentine card for my DH.
Love the Man card!!! Love the fact that CTMH is so diverse... Fits the whole family & friends, women, men and all the occassions inbetween!!! Thank you for wonderful product and ideas!!!.... 'Angie Jones'
i find the masculin cards harder because i dont' know a whole lot of men who really care about the card anyway? I mean my husand woudl appriciat the fact i got him a card... but the looks and embelishments he would over look.
As long as I don't get too overtly girly, and gear the cards for the recipient's tastes, so far they've been really well received. I think that everyone, and maybe especially men, appreciate the special care that was taken to make the card. I don't think there's any special color scheme or theme you have to use, but tune into the man in question. My husband loves to garden, so it wouldn't be out of the question to include flowers. On the other hand, my son-in-law's interests are mostly either family-activity or car-related, so I'd lean towards those areas. Know your subject and a few ruffles or flourishes won't put him off.
I need all the help I can get for masculine cards! But the paperpacks that work good for me are Back Country, Sarsaparilla, and It's a Guy Thing.
I like the comment that the "Little Boys" stamp works for big boys too. For my husband, if I can tie to sports, he's happy. :)
I like to use some of our masculine stamps with black, browns, blues, or greens.
The Felicity Collection is simply gorgeous! I like to use browns and blues on male cards also, but the really masculine part of this card are the bronze brads anywhere or anyway you use them can make a card masculine. Teri(tlobabyrnc@aol.com
I love the CTMH You Rock stamp set with electric guitar which works great for adults, teens and kids. Just started playing with the two new rock-n-roll sets that go with the brand new You Rock paper pack and they are awesome too! I'm also a fan of our Merry Monsters set as the four little aliens work great on funny cards for guys or kids. I do think guy cards are a little more challenging so having a couple of stamps like these makes it a whole lot easier to create something that is manly but fun for you to make too! Here are a couple of examples from my archives that were a BIG hit with the recipients!
http://paigespaperparadise.blogspot.com/2009/09/pop-rockin-boy-birthday-card-with-ctmh.html
http://paigespaperparadise.blogspot.com/2009/09/alien-birthday-card-with-ctmh-merry.html
http://paigespaperparadise.blogspot.com/2009/07/ctmh-farm-masculine-birthday-card-with.html
I think a lot of the disguising a card to make it more manly has to do with the colors you use. And sometimes using a softer color with more earthy tones just makes it feel more masculine.
I find that Back Country and Tinkerin are good for men. The Tinkerin stamp is really cute if done in strong masculine colors such as outdoor denim or possibly indian corn blue. Thanks for the great card design!
I like using the sanding of raised lines technique-looks more manly. I use guy colors, and although the favorite stamp set I like for man cards Tool Time has been retired, I still like that. This is great for the construction worker!
Denise Wells
mamascollections@aol.com
I agree it is very hard to find masculine ideas for cards but my husband is a Big Boston Bruins fan and as long as I come close to the logo I am sure he will love it. I like the card that was posted it could be for a Dad, brother, son, etc so I think it could be quite popular for many occasions!
I tend to make a lot of cards for boys and I love to use stamps that pertain to what they are interested in... toys, dinosaurs, sports, trains, animals etc. If I know their favorite color I try to incorporate that into the card also.
Melissa
I was pleasantly surprised with my husbands reaction for an anniversary card that I made for him last year. I borrowed the 'priceless' theme from the tv commercial, and listed (on the inside of the card) our married life accomplishments (new house, kiddos, cats, cars, jobs, etc), ending with 'sharing life with you = priceless.' On the front, I put a photo of us cutting the cake from our wedding day, and used the phrase 'we tied the knot' and tied the card shut with a piece of hemp. First time he's really liked a card!
I am signing up to do cards next month!
I made my husband a Boy Scout Album for Christmas using Backwoods mostly.
Just use manly colors and not too much frill. My husband always says he doesn't care if there is a button or ribbon on the card, just that someone sent him one and remembered him!
I tend to use the hiking and outdoors papers for my "manly" pages! Cards for guys are pretty generic without flowers!!!!!!!!!!!
I have not made very many manly cards yet, but I'm looking for great ideas. I have gotten some great ones here.
Love the card, thanks for the ideas. Will be sure an use those.
Bobbi N.
I usually use olive, desert sand for cards and scrapbook pages for my husband! This is a nice change!
Such a great card! Love the idea.
I use deeper colors like darker greens and browns. For embellishments, I match buttons, use twine and paper leaves.
I stick to blues and browns for most of my manly projects, earth tones. And I agree, brads are a great accent!
I once made a card with some measuring tape(for ribbon), dry wall tape(lineny background) and punched out pin wheels(for flowers) from fine sand paper. That is about as manly as I could get :)
Any patterns that are not too flowery will work for the man cards.
I just use manly colors and paper patterns to make man cards. Sometimes I do an outdoors theme also.
I am liking this 'man card' as well as the notion of a man-card :) I can do boys (I have two and 8+ years of practice) but men are a whole other game. Thanks for this idea and the chance to win this fun set.
Alyssa
Nice card! I love the earth tones. I too am challenged when it comes to cards for males. Love to see new ideas. Thanks!
For my man cards, I do a lot of distressing and use darker colors! Haven't had a complaint from my husband yet...lol
thank you for the man card inspiration. I am always at a loss for ideas.
Having two boys and a hubby in my life, I have had plenty of practice scrapbooking "manly" layouts. I've even been known to take a purely girly looking layout and making it appear manly by using deeper richer tones. Yet, when it comes to cards it's more of a challenge to keep it masculine when my sparkles, fancy ribbon and glitter call out to me.
I think just about any image can be used for a "man" card if paired with the right colors! Blues, greens, browns...earthtones in general are what I always go for when creating for the man in my life! :-)
I love using the distressing kit to "boy up" any layout or card. I find even if the colors are typically more of a feminine color, if I sand or rip the paper, it looks masculine.
Nope, no tips.. I struggle with manly man cards! I do try to use colors that suit the more manly side.
I do love the card posted! Super cute!
I like to take flower punches and snip off the ends to make more geometric/funky shapes that can be used on guy pages and cards :)
To make a more masculine card I use darker colors and I usually do a lot of distressing.
I enjoy using geometric shapes...Circle Around,shing Star,Star Struck,along with outdoor stamps for cards for men. Maureen S
I find it hard but I think this paper pack will help!
When making a masculine card, I usually go straight to dark colored cardstock for the base. However, I've found that you can use light colored cardstock for the base of the card and accent with dark colored cardstock to switch it up.
I am always at a loss for man/boy cards. Thank you for the ideas. Jen B.
Very nice card. Versatile paper! Love it, want it!
I usually use Autumn Terracotta, Cocoa, Goldrush, and New England Ivy. The B&B papers need to have straight lines.
I also use a lot of masculine colors, outdoors stamps, or even stamps with vines
beautiful card!! Thanks for the idea
I use gears, static, grundge items on cards. I also like to use their hobbies to bounce my ideas from. Grease stains, grass, sports shapes and I love the browns, greens, cocoa, gold papers.
Debbie Webster
I use darker colors and I stay away from too many embellishments. I also stick with stamps that are more simple such as stars or just use sentiments.
Depending on how they're used, even flowers can be masculine. Adding the right elements and using dark or neutal colors is key!
I also tend to use darker, more earthy colours and patterned paper with stripes or plaid for my masculine cards. Any metallic embellishments work well, and I have also snipped the ends of flowers off to make them look like gears. I also use stamps sets like Beautiful Things to create a acenic look.
Roz Kelly
I go for anything that is movable and he has to figure it out...for example how it all went together. He is an artist...so it is fun for both of us! My husband will only accept handmade cards from me now! He loves the creativeness of them.
I agree with some of the earlier comments...the colors have be manly...and a little grungy distressing never hurt either!
My problem is that I start making a card for a female friend and it sometimes ends up looking masculine! ha ha!! I guess I like earthtones too much... &:-)
I just use darker colors and "manly" themes like sports or cars:-)
I usually avoid ribbon when making a guy card. They tend to like brads though. I love this card - ideas for incorporating photos are always good.
Lot's of hardware embellishments!!
It seems whenever I want a "man-card" I use pewter embellishments. Not sure what makes me feel like those are manly but I'm strangely drawn to them!
I think greens and blues are the way to go, they blend beautifully and yet don't look too girlie.
Neutral colors with a bit of accent color, and anything "outdoorsy". Less is more!
I use dark, earth tone colors, and keep the card simple.
I think any stamp set works as long as you use the right colors! For this months gathering project I am doing hearts in green and yellow, make it a little more for a man :).
Great card! Would love to win the Felicity Collection!!
awesome card...I always have a hard time when it comes to making a card for a guy...
Great card!
Love the card. I never set out to purchase "manly" items because I like all the girly stuff, maybe too much. But using the back of the B&T papers in darker colors makes great "manly cards" and I use the non mushy sentiments ;)
too cute and much needed. I try to add sports to my male cards but this helps also.
When doing a man card I like to use lots of brass or copper accents and neutral colors. I love our nature stamp sets for producing manly cards as well.
Good color ideas for a male card. I will have to keep that in mind. My nephew's birthday is next week.
CTMH has lots of stamp sets with trees, fishing, camping.
I love the layout/card. I try to make manly cards for friends and relatives but there are so few choices for manly stamps. CTMH needs to add a a few motorcycles or western stamps. Melinda B.
I love this card, it's great!! thanks for the great Ideas!
Haven't experienced making any "man" cards yet but love reading comments for future ideas since I have two sons and five grandsons. I think this packet has colors and designs that would work very well.
Very nice card -- "man" cards are the hardest to make for me. This should work well.
That post had me laughing! Yes, manly cards are hard to make--I tend to stick with blues and nuetral colors when making my man cards.
I use brown, orange and green a lot for "male" cards. Or for kids I go with the primary colors! I love the color combo on this card and I'm going to have to try it!
I usually use neutral or darker colors along with nature scenery and metal embellishments. Manly cards are hard darn it and not nearly as cute!! LOL!!
Dark or primary colors (Desert Sand works great to lend a masculine feel to colors that may not be quite "manly"). Metal embellishments are a must for manly cards, and distressing.
Earthy Colors are great for manly cards and Felicity's plaids and argyles are great. Love it!
I appreciate looking at the masculine side. I have boys and sometimes struggle finding the right look. Thanks!
for me, a man card is all about the right paper. Choosing masculine paper (themed or color) helps every time. A favorite is the Majestic Blue paper pack.
Jennifer Cox, Idaho
I find that many of the outdoor/woodsy themed paper packets work best for Father's Day cards and manly cards
My masculine cards are usually themed around wildlife and manly colors. There are plenty of CTMH stamp sets and paper packs that work for the men in my life. I do try to make them simple b/c it is true men rarely look at the details.
I like to add metal embellishments and distressing to toughen up any paper packet for a manly look!
Having 3 boys, a husband, a father-in-law, a brother, 3 brother-in-laws and 5 nephews I've made many a manly card. For me, it's about the paper selection, techniques and embellishments.
Rugged colors like Outdoor Denim, New England Ivy and Cranberry stand the test of time and colors like Twilight and Indian Corn Blue work equally as well. CTMH has SO MANY gorgeous papers that there's always something to choose from.
Techniques - ink or scissor distressed edges, sanded cardstock and dry embossing add just the perfect touch.
Embellishments - using Metal embellishments is always a hit. Oh, and speaking of hits - try using a Phillips head screwdriver to create a "screw" look on a brad - so cool! I prefer to use hemp to give it that twine look.
I think a masculine card that "works" is truly a masterpiece ance appreciated very much by the recipient.
I just use masculine colors.
When I scrapbook pictures of my adorable husband, I like to use black & white photos on black paper. Sometimes I add a punch of colour like crystal blue or pale green. They come out looking very romantic!
LOVE this and I so need to do some man cards
I haven't yet made a "man card" however with pages dedicated to the men in my life I like to use blues, browns and greens. Also, as we hunt, fish, 4 wheel etc, I have a lot of "manly" embellishments like little power tools and such.
Using metal, earth-tone colors, distressing or tearing the papers are good ideas to use when making a "manly" card.
I use the darker shades. I made a Fathers Day card using tool stamps and backing them with cardboard, Then I used a piece of cardboard and made rows of holes to look like a tool board for hanging tools. It looked real cool.
For manly cards, yes to guy colors, basic brads, simplicity; no to anything floral, sparkly, frou-frou, or even remotely lacey. Plain ribbon (like grosgrain) applied flat (no bows or ruffles) is good, geometric shapes are good. Definitely no glitter. : )
Blues, dark colors, metal, images such as leaves are all good for man-cards. Stay away from lace and flowers! Pam W.
I like using the Simple Pleasures paper and some fishing/camping stamps.
My favorite masculine card that I have made utilized Outdoor Denim for the base with edge distressing and just a simple band of Cranberry grosgrain ribbon to add a splash of color without being to cutesy. I also tend to use a lot of Cocoa cardstock and ink, and pewter accents. The key for me is to keep the cards pretty monotone with just one bit of color, sometimes unexpectedly. My brother's birthday card, for example, featured a chipboard frame covered in pale green patterned paper (Sweet Leaf I think). The paper looks girly on a layout, but that small bit of it with a bunch of cocoa and pewter was very masculine.
Awesome card! I do find it hard to come up with a manly card from time to time and usually end up buying one instead of making one! But when I do make them, the dark colors seem to work best. Thanks for the inspiration!
I say use blues and greens or neutral colors and distress the heck out of it.
Love the card. I usually use brads and distessing when I do a manly card. Also the rich autumn harvest colors.
I love this card and the colors! I know I could "lift" this one and proudly give it to my hubby or my dad!
I like to use brads or eyelets, jute or twine and generally layer solid colors of cardstock with the sentiments.
Kraft cardstock as the base and using twine or hemp for my ribbon "fix" keeps the card fairly manly!!
I tend to use darker colors for man cards and since I LOVE to embellish, I use hemp or twine for the fiber and vintage colored metal embellishments. As for stamps, I just use my more masculine looking sets (tools, animals, strong patterns, etc.).
I think its all about the color combos. I used blue, green, brown and a hint of light yellow to make a birthday card for my dad. I also used some pewter embellishments. It looked very "not girly"! Anything to do with outdoor activities, sports or cars are usually good too.
I use neutral colors with blues and greens. I also add flowers if I see fit (flowers make everyone smile, ya know), I just make sure I don't go too girly. The ribbon slides and other embellishments like that are really great to use too. Of course ribbon belongs on every card so....
I really liked the Everyday Celebration set that we all got for FREE back in September. It was very manly and I have used those cards for so many boys/men birthdays in the past few months. I wish we had more card sets like that (even if we have to pay for them), I loved it and so did my customers. WOTG is great but it still doesn't rank up there with that card set.
Staying away from the "girly" colors and the "cutsey" flowers/designs is the key for me to make a "MANLY" card.
I just love CTMH products, and I love my stamps! They have such a large selection, and so many ideas~ Keep up the good work, Look forward to seeing all the new products this year. Paula Sims ohbabe0123@yahoo.com
I have many opportunities to do man cards...i like to use trees on them...and the browns, blues, greens..although i love brown with anything lateley! :) REally neat card!
Micky Galli
For my manly cards I like browns, blues and even some greens but I also like to sand our CS with the really gritty sandpaper to get a rough distress look. I also like buttons for the manly cards. The Everyday Celebration special was just great for manly cards. I look forward to other manly and girly card specials! Have a great day everyone!
Whenever I need to make a card for a man, I always stick to dark colors and very little embellishments. Simple is best for the men in my life. This past weekend I decided to use our Wishes book and use one of the workshops in order to create 20 masculine cards. I used CTMH's Tinkerin paper pack and tried to use stamps that have no flowers or frills. Last but not least I always ask my husband what he thinks... he is very helpful! lol Maybe I should recruit him! :)
I use CTMH products for making Father's Day cards in my classroom. Like many have said before me, I tend you use strong colours and patterns rather than soft colours (e.g., I use colours from summer carnival and winter classic inks). I might add some dark ribbon and metal. I also make great use of the sports stamps and family/children ties stamps. I even found that using the flower die-cuts and paper from the Serendipity pack really worked for men ... believe it or not!
I just try to stay away from too many girly bows and "fru-fru" type things (which is hard -- I love that stuff). As many have mentioned, CTMH gives us lots of choices in our color pallette and B&T paper.
Love the card!!
Wow, it would be awesome to win the set. I have done animal silhouettes with inked backgrounds or lighthouses and fishing scenes as well. The mountain scenery ones are nice too for manly cards. I really liked the anniversary card ideas comment above and the gears/tools idea. Thanks
I am new to card making...have been a scrapbooker! Love the ideas presented here as I have a house full of boys!!
Thanks for the wonderful ideas!
hemp is a manly fiber :)
~C
Thanks for another great idea.
I find men like it if you stamp their name on the front of the card.
I just like to use neutral colors and keep them simple.
Hehe, tough one. I tend to go darker in colours, omit the flowers and froo-froo stuff. I also tend to use brads and maybe even a non-ruffled ribbon if I use ribbon at all, and your good to go. Humour is always good, too, so a catchy sentiment goes over well. For images, outdoorsy, rugged, manly... like men like to be thought of. Really, the simpler, the better. ;)
I like to sponge the edges with Chocolate or Cocoa and then streak some across the patterned paper I chose. I think feminine textures can work, too, but not feminine colors!
I love this card. I don't usually make too many manly cards but when I do, I tend to drift to the outdoors theme. I love the Back Country and It's a Guy Thing papers. I also love to distress the edges of cardstock and add silver brads which I think add a manly touch!
Other than choosing neutral or deeper colors, I also keep masculine cards simple, using simple shapes and lines.
The men in my family are all into some sort of sport-hunting,fishing,golf,football,soccer-so I find it very easy to "man them up". I also use some of the muted colors for the project.
Thanks for such a great idea!
I think color plays a big role in making masculine cards.
Shannon
The simpler the better! "Manly cards" are the cheapest ones to make! Recycled lightbulb boxes, paper bags, sandpaper, paint chips, garden twine ... all fabulous (and cheap!) starting points, and all fun to stamp on!
Making "male" cards can be difficult, but I try to use colors that are masculine as well as strips, plaids, etc. Few flowers and limited embellishments.
Carol W
I think colors and techniques such as light distressing make a card look more rugged. I also find that if I break away from the average card and lean more towards a specialty card like slider cards then it captures a man's interest.
I ALWAYS keep my eyes open for the perfect stamp sets for the men in my life. Match that with a striped or plaid paper and a few brads and it always does the trick!
I am the only female in my family so I tend to stay away from girly colors and flower stuff. CTMH seems to try to represent both sexes so it is making it easier to come up with male scrapbooking pages and cards.
Monica G.
Great Card, finding masculine is always hard and I have lots of boys of all ages in my family
I love this example. It is so nice to be able to use the same papers for female and male cards etc.
I use different papers depending on the guy and what its for. For my husband I make sure that whenever CTMH comes out with a fishing, hunting, deer and any other kind of animal and outdoor stamp I get them. I keep twine on hand since he isn't crazy about ribbons and bows.
For man cards I use colors like brown, navy, and hunter green. And no flowers!
I take an elegant green or blue paper and distress it with brown ink, giving it a used, comfy feel.
Since I love ribbon and put them on most of my cards. I hardly ever make masculine cards but when I do I tend to use browns and greens or blues, eyelets and hemp and usually a tree or leaf stamp.
Distressing with the inks is a great way to enhance your papers.
Nancy - Jmccon1545@tds.net
Well I do not really have a suggestion I try to use their favorite color which tends to be more on the primary/ darker side like our winter and autumn colors! Nothing bright and nothing pink (unless they like that of course(:) I really need some help making masculine cards I am going to try to make some in this new year, using our stamps and papers the you rock paper pack would make a good card I think!
Have a great evening
it is nice to see more cards and layouts for men and boys.
There is so much pink and it is hard to find layouts tht will work for a man
I use neutral or dark colors for the men in my life - husband, two sons and one grandson (not to mention brothers-in-law and nephews). For embellishments, I tend to use stars, arrows or sport items - balls, golf clubs, etc. as appropriate to the recepient. I also like distressing.
Making masculine cards is indeed a challenge - and a good color combo is a must. Anything with browns and Twilight is usually good.
Nice card! I don't make very many "man-cards" but when I do, I tend to use darker colors and sometimes plaid paper. CTMH has some great stamp sets for "man-cards."
For "Man" cards I like to use some of the outdoor stamps - fishing, camping, etc.
Lately when making cards for my husband I punch/cut a shape from one of our three year old’s latest art works. Then I pull the colour cues from her creation. Our little girl has her daddy wrapped around her little finger so any card with her input is automatically a winner. My husband isn’t specifically concerned with the card looking overly masculine (though I do try to utilize the darker/more masculine feeling colours). He seems to prefer home-made cards because they are more personal and can really express the sentiment of the occasion!
This is a great card. I love the colors!
Mary G.
Texas
This card is great!
I usually use darker colors...twine...metallic accents...and distress with ink and sandpaper on my manly cards. And a simple sentiment.
Love the MAN card, I am always so challenged when trying to do a man card! Thanks!
I LOVE THIS!! This is one area that I have a hard time in is making manly cards! May be lifting this one!!
my only advice to browns
After reading all of the above posts, I now have lots of great ideas for manly cards. Thank you! In the past,I have only made a few manly cars - mostly with cars on them!
making cards for all my boys always poses a challenge. Love collecting ideas from CTMH
Janice Carleton from Winnipeg
Love the colors...the only man card I have ever made is a Father's day card. It turned out cute so not sure why I haven't made any more.
Love the colors...the only man card I have ever made is a Father's day card. It turned out cute so not sure why I haven't made any more.
Akislewski-Wisconsin
I love bamboo, desert sand, moonlight, and barn red papers for man cards. I really love using stars, arrows, guitars stamps for my guys, The card you have shown is awesome!
I try to personalize any card I make for the recipient using favorite sports, teams, hobbies or phrases. This can really help with manly cards as even pastel colors look great with a hockey player or fishing stamp. Many sports teams have colors that could be less manly but when used together they take on a persona all their own and make their fans proud. Also, anytime you include a picture of a loved one the card will be loved and appreciated.
Man card ideas are hard to think up except for father's day cards. I liked the card great ideas.
I use neutral colors, buttons and either twill ribbon or the grosgrain ribbon. My hubby & sons always enjoy getting heart made cards.
What a great card...always looking for new man cards. Need to get away from my recent fishing-themed cards.
When my husband receives cards, he shakes them as he's opening them to see whether they have money in them. Not too interested in the cards themselves. He is always asking me to send my handmade cards to his friends and family members though and basks in the comments we receive in return.
Great Card Thanks for Sharing!!!
I haven't done many man cards- but we do have some great stamps that I would love to use with some of the more masculine papers.
I try to stay with blues and browns for my male cards and this seems to help. Thank you for the chance to win.
Browns, black, dark blues or greens; metal accents like brads or hinges; not too busy but lots of distressing...
boys...boys...boys...how would they manage without us? Along with all the good ideas written above for making "manly" cards to give to men, I think it's a good idea to make a bunch for their own stash so they can give cards to the special ladies in their lives. What a wonderful surprise, huh?
it is hard to create a manly card... when i have to i use darker colors or really bright/bold colors and the images are using stars
It is so tricky to make a manly card OR scrapbook page! I have some plaid paper I really like to use. I use lots of hemp and twill too!
OMG - I have broncitis ...Maybe I will finally get some scrapping done ! No one wants to be near me !
Like this one! Great idea for a photo card.
I am fairly new to all of this and your paper line is amazing! I need to go and find myself a consultant!
This is a gorgeous card! I find 'manly' cards are by far my biggest challenge. So, this is wonderful, I'm going to copy all the comments above and save it to use for future inspiration. For my guy cards I love to use browns, cream, blue and green along with antique brass embellishment and lots of sponging to age the card, too.
I always try to use humor in cards I make for men - I also stay away from flowers and other extra embellishments - simpler is better!
love it - i add metal, felt and of course roughing up the edging and inking makes it a little darker/muddier... I love all the CTMH stamps as you can arrange, change, use part of and voila a man card...
i am lucky to have to great girls in my life i get to bling, bling, bling... it is nice to take a car and run it through an ink pad and then drive on paper though (represents good tire marks on paper - my tip)
As some have mentioned already, basic graphic stamps (arrows, simple flourishes, circles, etc.) work well for me for making masculine cards.
Distressing the edges of the paper is my trick.
What a great card! I usually use a combo of blues, greens & browns for my "man" cards. Please keep the great ideas coming.
Very nice card. I will have to try it. I love the paper choice as well
I rough it up, tear, or use embellishments that are manly!
Stacy D. Breidenbach
Male cards are a bit of a struggle for me also. I look for any of the darker outdoorsy paper colors. Nature stamp sets and sports or cars work well. Hemp and waxy flax instead of ribbon. Brads and buttons are a good choice and humorous sayings.It always feels good when the man receiving it comments on how great the card is.
what can I say? Love CTMH!!!!
I like to use outdoors or sport stamps depending on their hobby. For men I like to use Brown, Tan, Black, Dark Green and Dark Blue paper. If the card is for a little boy I like using the bright reds, yellows, blues, and oranges. Tractors and race cars are always a big hit!
I try to use masculine images when making cards for guys. I would like to see CTMH introduce more man images.
I use "boyish/manly" papers, darker hues sometimes, blues, brown, greens! My son is a bass player in a band & I scrap lots of lo's about him playing, music, I love to put stars on guy layouts!
Thank you for the ideas it's always hard making scrapbooks and cards masculine. Great job!
Megan Shipp
Post a Comment