Friday, January 29, 2010

January 29: Ruffle Technique No. 2

You may recall that in an earlier post we showed you how to create an adorable ruffled ribbon using Tombow® Mono® adhesive. Let’s kick it up a notch by doing some handy, dandy stapling!



We featured this layout in yesterday’s post to illustrate how you can pair mismatched photos and stories. Today we’re zooming in on the ruffle detail so we can show you how it’s done.



The first two steps are the same as Ruffle Technique No. 1: cut a long piece of ribbon, and run a line of adhesive where you will put your ruffle. Step 3 is almost the same, too, as you press the ribbon into the adhesive, then fold it back on itself, then press it down some more. The difference here is that you want your folded parts to be bigger so that they can be stapled. And step 4 is the most important one of all: get out your stapler and staple down those ruffles! We recommend our pivot point stapler for this step.


What makes this stapler unique is the way the head rotates 360 degrees, so you can staple at any angle without having to bend the edges of your page. You have to admit, when we said “handy, dandy stapling,” we really meant it!

Do you have a favorite tool? What papercrafting gadget do you find simply indispensable? Weigh in on the discussion by commenting here. Remember, your comment will enter you in a drawing for the Felicity Collection, an entire papercrafting kit that even includes a My Acrylix® D-size stamp set! Stop by tomorrow to find out who won and for the final two days of our drawing.

122 comments:

MrsSuzyQ said...

It is hard to pick one favorite tool. What first comes to mind is the simple CTMH edge distresser. I am always grabbing that classic tool for all sorts of scrapbooking, cardmaking..and my kids have used it on school projects!

I do have mention my lastest *new* favourite would be the super easy CTMH soft eyelet tool. No hammering, simple to use and adds such an amazing professional look to everything I do. Wonderful!

Karen Norman said...

absolutely without at doubt it would be the piercing tool, it has so many uses - helping place those bitty sparkles, faux and hand stitching help, as well as making placing brads so much faster, simpler and easier!

Nina N said...

Well, I definitely could not do anything without my paper trimmer!

Korine said...

I can't live without liquid glass -- I find ways to use it on almost everything I do. I use it to hold down prisma glitter - to create that glassy look and as an adhesive! Love it!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to pick just one. I work on my versa mat all the time so it is under the rest of my tools when I use them. Karen in IL

Kerri W said...

I always forget about staples. I Love liquid glass and if Im not careful my entire layout will be covered!
Kerri

Unknown said...

My favorite tool is my X-acto knife. It comes in handy when I want to cut around the small or intricate stamp designs!

Crystal Pledger said...

I would have to say my piercing tool. I use it everytime I scrap for brad placement, alighing bitty sparkles, and decorative holes. It's the best!

kim said...

There are so many but I am really impressed with the CTMH micro scissors. They are perfect for cutting in tight spaces, everyone I know that has a pair raves about them.

Doramiyi said...

my handy dandy tool is my cuttlebug, there is not a project i do without it. i love my bug.

doramiyi

Loretta said...

I use the piercing tool every time I scrap! I just ordered the cutting knife. Can't wait to see how well it works.

sgoodbrand said...

I love distressing!! I use the edge distressers and sanders a lot, and the white-core paper is so great!!

L. said...

The ruler on my paper cutter is what I can't live without; I love to measure so that everything is exact!

Lorrinda said...

I am a bit of a tool junkie, but if I have to pick just one, I'd pick my CTMH micro scissors. I have other scissors, but I always reach for those ones first because they are super sharp and better for detailed cuts.

Jody said...

I would have to say my favorite tool is the sponging tool. I use it on every project. I love the inked edges look so I do that on almost all my projects. That little tool is easy to maneuver and I can apply as much or as little ink as necessary. Very handy indeed!!!

Trishkj said...

I'm a gadget girl and love tools of all kinds! My favorite and most used is my paper piercer, though!

Jamie Jay said...

I like to use the paper cutter to emboss papers, I just use an embossing tool and run it right down where the cutter usually goes. You can create some really neat effects with this.

Christina said...

Im a simple kinda gal I guess because I can't live without a paper peircer. I just can't. I use it almost every single time Im doing anything. It's very handy...that and a good ol' sponge. Just can't live with them!

Unknown said...

My favorite is the corner rounder as it can be used by rounding any corner and to make the edge of a paper stand out on any layout.

Nicole *Ü* said...

I'm going to have to go with my paper piercer and corner rounder. I use them constantly!!

sandyh50 said...

I love my Fiskars paper cutter! I cannot imagine crafting without it!

monicac said...

I love the liquid glass. I try and use it wheneve I do a demo. It just that extra "POP"!

Julie said...

My Piercing tool. Love it!

Heidi said...

By far it is the piercing tool. I remember when I first started doing CTMH I called it "the poky thing" and my consultant gently reminded me of it's name every time until now I call it by the correct name. It's great for so many things. Including poking things! :)

Paige Dolecki said...

I love my piercing tool and use it all the time. It sturdy and great for making holes for brads, picking up adhesive backed sparkles and pearls for perfect placement, making holes for handsewing and creating designs with punching. I keep it right on my worksurface in my Close to my Heart toolbox which I made from an Acrylix Organizer that I added small paper boxes to for tool sections.

Myra Grodzuik said...

I love our piercing tool, scissors and our hammer! The paper crafting gadget I find indispensable is my paper cutter, I can't do anything without it!

Rachel said...

My fav tool is my Crop-a-Dile hole punch and eyelet setter. I know it isn't a CTMH product, but I bought it before the soft set eyelet tool was available.

Denise said...

My piercing tool! I have to have it and if I can't find it I go into panic mode!

Lynaya said...

My favorite is not really a tool, but I love Cherish, Imagine, and reflections. I also love the color in letter stickers.

Laura said...

So many choices when it comes to tools, I don`t know if I can chose just one. I use my edge distresser alot, and my piercing tool for all kinds of things.

Anonymous said...

My favorite CTMH tool is the Write N' Rub Pen. I love the ease of tracing stamped images or paper detail then using flock or glitter to enhance the image. It is so easy to add "pop" with this pen.
Thanks,
Courtney Sidener
courtney.sidener@rocketmail.com

Kellen's Mom said...

I need to have my paper trimmer and CTMH micro scissors, can't do without them!

Karen said...

I do have a new tool that I'm currently intrigued with and that is the Martha Stewart score board. It just makes such clean lines much better than using a paper trimmer groove.

Sheila Bennett said...

Most indispensable? That is a tough question - a toss-up between Embossing Stylus and Paper Piercer

Michele said...

There are so many tools I love. I could not live with out my paper trimmer. I use the CTMH piercing tool almost daily. I love distressing and use sanding blocks and sponges all the time. Wow, the list could go on and on.

Julie said...

I love the piercing tool the best, it's so easy to handle, but I use my paper trimmer the most.

Julie Wasson said...

my micro scissors are the best. I even take them in my purse it case I need them.

Anonymous said...

I love my piercing tool, hardly ever do a page without it!

Gina Stockfisch

Michele said...

I've never seen this stapler before and of course must have it!

Nicole said...

I cannot live without the how-to guides Cherish, Imagine, and Reflection. I am starting to get into card making to utilize all of my left over scraps and I just purchased the Original Card confidence book and can't wait to start using it.

Tammy said...

I would say my fav is the micro tip scissors. I have purchased other kinds, but always find these are the best by far. They can get into very small places and give a clean sharp cut. Thanks for an amazing product.

Unknown said...

There are alot of tools that I find are a must when I scrapbook! My top three would have to be my paper trimmer, piercing tool, and my CTMH ink pads.

Michelle H. said...

I love my VersaMat! It is always on my table, and is such a useful tool.

Joy said...

It's hard to pick just one. My paper trimmer is the indispensable tool but my blender pen is right beside me all the time, too!

Unknown said...

The sponging tool works wonders. I just used it to make the fa la la page from the autumn/winder 2009 catalog. It is amazing what difference sponging makes on the ornaments. They are BEAUTIFUL after sponging the edges.

Kelly said...

I love new ideas for using ribbon! I just finished my son's wedding scrapbook and I used ribbon on many of the pages. It is so universally decorative! Thanks for the ideas! And the staples I really need to use those more!

Sherry Hawa said...

Gotta’ go with my paper trimmer, micro-tip scissors, VersaMat, and exacto knife for my indispensable tools – oops, that’s four! ;-)

Manhattan Mandie said...

I love most of my tools but could not live without my paper trimmer! I can't cut straight to save my life! I also love my paper piercer, CTMH micro-tipped scissors and my Cricut! Oh, an I almost forgot the CTMH books, Cherish and Imagine and Reflections! I use those almost everytime I scrapbook. I've even used them to help me design my own sketches!

Helen Van Daalen said...

My most used tool is the paper trimmer. What would I do without it?!

Anonymous said...

I love my stamp pad caddy/marker caddy. It is sooo easy to find the color I'm looking for with little effort! Jessica From iowa

Linda Shewchuk said...

That is great - i actually just did a layout like this about 5 days ago - ran the riibon, ruffled down the dbl layout!.

Favorite tool.. how the heck can i pick one? xacto knife then, even though i love the scissors!!

Gretel said...

I so appreciate how precise our paper trimmer is! That and our VersaMat are indispensable.

Lauren said...

There are several tools that I cannot live without... one is my xacto knife, and the other is the edge distresser tool. I love that little tool, and I'm almost always covered in paper shavings when I'm creating! I wonder how much paper I've breathed in over the past few years?!?

Anonymous said...

I love all of my "gadgets" but I think my favorite is my Cricut with all the wonderful things I can cut out with it!

Nicole Steele said...

I'm pretty boring. My favorite tool is a pair of plain old scissors!

Cindy Vernon said...

I absolutely lovem y cuttlebug!

Erin said...

My Versa mat is my most useful tool because I use it with every project I do!

Unknown said...

My edge distressor- I have a busy life and find it really helps me to de-stress when I can distress!!

Simonetta Bois (Simmie) said...

No doubt in my mind it's our micro-tip scissors. Can't scrap without them!

Stephanie Lynn said...

I love my super handy clear stamps and stamp blocks from CTMH! They have to be one of the best things to happen to scrapbooking! I'm also getting a waterbrush soon, which I hope will be my new favorite toy. :)

Jessica said...

If I had to pick just one I would say it's my piercing tool! I use it for everything!

Anonymous said...

I can't live without my paper trimmer. In fact I have nearly every type that is on the market. LOL
Love the layout for today, can't wait to copy.
cbgirl

JessicaF said...

I use my corner rounder on ALL my pictures. My paper trimmer get alot of use as well.

Lori L said...

Oh, so many tools, it's hard to pick just one. My top five would be #5 - my paper trimmer, it's never very far away, #4 - would be my CTMH paper scissors, so small and just perfect for trimming. #3 - would be my glue runner gun, it's always loaded. #2 - my block, I'd be lost without them, and my #1 tool would have to be my tweezers, they're great for picking up everything and placing it just perfectly.

Unknown said...

I would have to say my piercing tool and I also love using pop dots especially on cards, i just think that it makes the item stand out more.

Anonymous said...

One favorite? How to choose? I guess if I could only have one tool aside from a paper cutter which is a scrapbooking necessity it would have to be the "sanding kit" because I love the look it adds to my layouts. A close second would be the piercing tool though.
Trisha Bossio

Maryellen W said...

One of my favorite tools is my heat tool. I love to
emboss, even though it's a little time consuming and messy.
I love the shiny look of the finished project. My
corner rounder is well loved too.

Shauna said...

I love my crop-a-dile. I use it for everything!!!

Margy said...

My favorite tool? Impossible to choose, there are SO many! The pivot stapler is actually in the Top Ten; it's unique and so, so useful. I also love my bone folder, and the one tool I use constantly is a dental pick. Even my dental hygienist, who is a customer, couldn't believe all the ways I find to use it - picking up little bits of paper or gems or anything, poking holes, moving an embellishment just a smidge - the list goes on and on!

Stephanie said...

I couldn't live with out my paper trimmer or my photo squares. I also love my crop-a-dile!

Anonymous said...

Most used tool would be my paper trimmer but I love using the distressing tool especially on the white core paper! But, then I see a lot of people love their piercing tool and that is pretty handy too. I am going to have to try that stapler - looks like it could be used in a lot of different ways I hadn't thought about.

Chris R. from Iowa

Maggi said...

Oh that's a hard one to answer! I love my distressing tool and my tweezers. I just go bonkers especially when I can't find my tweezers!

Laney's Legacy's said...

My favorite tool is my Cricut. I use it for everything.

Leah said...

My favorite tool is the micro tip scissors, CTMH of course.

Heather said...

I have to say my paper trimmer is my favorite. I cannot imagine life without it!!!

Nicole said...

The tools that I can't scrap without would be my paper trimmer and my Versamat. The one that is my favorite would have to be my paper piercer. I always find myself reaching for it.

Geri Conley said...

The micro tip scissors is the tool that totally turned me into an actual papercrafter. I was amazed at the difference between these scissors and every other ordinary pair I had ever used. Because I have the right tools, my papercrafting is more of an art and always more fun.

Unknown said...

I couldn't live without my corner rounder. It just makes the pages look special.

Barb K

CathyCrafts said...

I love my daubers !

Shena Adams said...

I have to say my paper trimmer. I also love just good old fashion pair of scissors. I also can't live without Revolution. The scrapbooking has came a longs ways with tools.

Anonymous said...

My paper trimmer, Versamat and micro scissors are always near at hand. Looking forward to using many more tools in the future.

Anonymous said...

Liquid glass is my favorite because you can do so many things with it! I made the most beautiful Christmas trees ever with liquid glass! If you don't have it, order it today from CTMH! SandySec57@aol.com

Scraplynn said...

I would have to say my #1... CTMH Micro-tip scissors (that I have had for 5 years and have never had to replace them and they are still sharp, love them!!) and my #2... my paper trimmer, I have used it so much that the numbers are almost worn completely off. Time to get a new one...

Felicia C. said...

Just ONE tool?? I guess it would have to be my sponge (in conjunction with ink pads). I love to add distressing to just about everything. It's a tool that has no enemies...ANYTHING can be edge distressed with ink, or sponged for an aged look...the options are endless.

Becky said...

I am still working on increasing my collection of tools. I like using the distressing tools but must admit my piercing tool comes out everytime I sit down to scrap.

Amy Ulen said...

I have so many that I absolutely love, it is hard to narrow it down to one. Finishing files are a MUST HAVE tool whenever working with chipboard! I can't stand nubbies, so I file them right off prior to inking or stamping. I also love that the finishing files make chipboard covered in B&T look so professional.

Parchey Family said...

My favorite tool is my piercing tool. I use for brads, sparkles and many more things. I even use it when my liquid glass is clogged. Angie

Unknown said...

My favorite tool is an ink pad. I love to use ink to distress and add depth and color to my pages.

Kelli said...

oh my, there are so many must have how can you choose, liquid glass & piercing tool. I use them both every page. The piercing tool is my poke, open liquied glass, pick up glue dot, aline, hold in place, everything I do tool. And my liquid glass, for embelishing, glueing, repairs, for glitter, for fun flock, for anything, I have repaired wood ornaments with it, I even repaired a shoe with it, and that is when I can find it because my kids steal it, they use it for everything!

Haley D., the Inky Scrapper said...

How can I choose just one?!? I absolutely cannot craft without my paper trimmer, so I guess that has to top the list of my favorite tools. If I could tell you more, then my microtip scissors are next! I use them to make holes for brads, to scissor distress, and of course to cut!

Anonymous said...

I love all my gadgets. I love my adhesive roller. I used to use the tabs from the dollar store and it was so time consuming peeling off the tabs. An adhesive roller is a must! As well, I love my corner rounder. I just got one a few months ago and use it all the time. Crystal

Teresa Jaye said...

I use my X-Acto knife constantly and buy the refill blades by the box of 100! Your little stapler looks ingenious with that turning motion. I'd love, love, love to win the Felicity collection!

Semi Granola Mom said...

Love the look of paper piercing, love how it can stand alone or threaded, so the piercing tool is my must have :)
~C

LyaL. said...

I have many favorites like bone folder, piercing tool and liquid glass are the "must".

Hope to win a Felicity kit!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I have lots of favorite tools, but a corner rounder seems to be a must!

lisa a.

LARAINE said...

I have the CTMH stapler. You CAN really do some "handy, dandy stapling" with it. Stapling down ribbon ruffles is a cool idea!

Teresa said...

My piercing tool is my favorite tool! I love it and use it all the time for all the reasons already given. I've recently learned about piercing holes in paper and placing a contrasting paper behind it. Too cute. My very close second is my micro tip scissors. I have always hated cutting until I tried the micro tip scissors. They make cutting a breeze.

Unknown said...

I love a good black marker for journaling. I am too lazy to type everything out - and like to add my journaling right away and finish the page up!

Sheri M. said...

My most used tool would be my mini guillotine trimmer. It gives such a crisp cut to photos. That & my corner rounder.

Unknown said...

I can't make it with out my piercer either. It picks up little things and helps me get the paper off the pop dots.

JoanneR said...

I love my paper piercer!

Linda said...

I have to say that the distressing tools - especially the sanding kit is my all time most used.

Cheryl said...

My micro-tip scissors! I love them!!! They are by far the best paper-crafting scissors I have ever owned- they can cut the smallest detail with precision & ease! Love them!

Tammy C. said...

I have so many favorite tools - it's hard to pick just one! You really need a variety of tools to achieve different effects. The very first tool I purchased through CTMH was my waterbrush. Thanks for all of the great products and the chance to win the Felicity collection!

Anonymous said...

I love my hole punch that doubles as an eyelet setter! I use it ALL the time for projects at home as well as in my kindergarten class. I love giving demos with it because everybody is amazed at its strength! I also LOVE my stamps, without them my pages would not be as nice as they are!

Michelle B

Unknown said...

I like the paper piecing tool and mat. It comes in handy for brads and stitching. I can get exact spacing for my stitches and see where to put my brads.

Darlys said...

I find the CTMH Micro-tip scissors simply indispensable. They are the BEST! Other indispensables are the paper trimmer, piercing tool, and liquid glass.

AZconservativeMOM said...

All of my favorite tools have been listed...so here's my most USEful tool...my wallet! Without it, I wouldn't be able to keep buying more CTMH and papercrafting gadgets! My papercrafting habit is very consuming!

Lora said...

I have a lot of favorite tools! The paper piercing tool, liquid glass and border punches are just a few of my favorites!

Sheila H said...

My favorite tool is my new BigKick Sizzix. I just love texturizing paper!

Debbie Taylor said...

Thank goodness it came in my consultant kit or I would have never known how much I needed one - my go to / use all the time gadget is my paper piercer.

Running a close second is my micro-tip scissors. I have many, many more others but these are my two favorites!

Me Again said...

After reading these posts I know I need to get a paper piercer! Right now my most essential tools are the paper trimmer, micro tip scissors and daubers.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing this technique. I will have to try this. My favorite tools are my paper trimmer, and Cricut.

Lisa P said...

The one thing I reach for most often are my sponge daubers with my CTMH inks ... I love distressing my edges by inking them. Very seldom do I do a layout or card that doesn't have this technique on it.

Amee G said...

I could not survive withour my paper piercer. I use it for all kinds of projects. It is not only great for putting in brads, but I can put waxy flax in pierced holes or leave the holes empty in a decorative design.

Debbie said...

I always use several tools including my paper trimmer, edge distresser, micro scissors, and piercing tool. They all are needed for every project I work on.

Unknown said...

My favorite tool is a 6 inch clear ruler that has grid marks on it up to 1/16th of an inch. I'm very particular about precision and this helps me be happy with my work!

Michelle Bryden said...

Can I consider the acrylic blocks tools? Where would I be without those? I LOVE all the things that I can do with stamping techniques because the blocks are clear and come in so many different sizes!

Vicka Mangione said...

I love my sponge and sponge doubers they are so nifty!

waiseone said...

I cannot live without my sponge and sandpaper!

Roberta Dermody said...

My favorite tool is the Micro tip scissors. I bought almost a dozen pairs of scissors trying to find the right ones before I came across CTMH scissors. The stamped images on my pages have improved so much since I started cutting them out w/this tool.

Katie said...

I never thought I needed another stapler, but the CMTH stapler caught my eye with the fact that it could swivel. It was something I knew I just had to have! I have used it on many projects and I am so glad I made it a part of my purchase.

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2009–2010 Celebrate National Papercrafting Month with Felicity!
All rights reserved worldwide. Downloading or copying this Web page or images therein is a violation of copyright.