
The journaling in this layout reads:
It was pretty hard for me to have you go to school. We have always been close, and I enjoyed our days hanging out with each other. We would do our errands and then go play with friends. We had a good thing going until you had to go and grow up and you have gotten so big independent. You were so excited to start that I couldn’t help but get a little excited too. It made it easier for me to watch you get on the school bus and drive away. You have made some good friends and love learning; you make me pretty proud to be your mom.
The story of a mother’s changing relationship with her son as he began attending kindergarten isn’t exactly illustrated in the photos. The pictures aren’t of the school bus receding in the distance or the mother and son interacting in the pre-kindergarten days. But the photos still support the story, because they are about the mom and son and school. The artist could have written about the counting game they played or her volunteer hours at her son’s school. But instead, she shared the much more important story of how she felt toward her son as he grew up.
As you scrapbook your photos, look for opportunities to journal about the stories that aren’t necessarily events. Celebrate your relationships by writing your inner thoughts, and illustrate those with whatever photos seem to go along with them, regardless of the event.
When you scrapbook, do you tend to write more about events or about feelings? Give us a one-sentence summary of a story you haven’t scrapbooked yet but would like to. Then go scrapbook it!
All commenters will be entered in our daily drawing for the Felicity Collection papercrafting kit. Check back tomorrow to see if you’re the lucky winner!

131 comments:
I do a combination of events / feelings depending on what I'm scrapping. I also like to tell some stories from my daughter's point of view so that when she is older she will enjoy knowing how she felt about things too!
I usually journal events. I find it hard to write about feelings.
We recieved a compliment about our son's honesty from 2 of his teachers when he was in grade 2. I wrote everything down but haven't done the layout yet. Thanks for the push to get it done!
I usually journal events or stories about the pictures. I have trouble writing about my feelings.
I almost always journal about the event itself... I, too, find it hard to write about my feelings in a scrapbook, because it will be a somewhat public document/record for lots of people to read. But journaling about feelings definitely makes the scrapbook more personal and meaningful, so I'm going to take up the challenge and try to include feelings in my scrapbooks in the future! I think I'll start with my son starting middle school this year... LOTS of feelings around that topic! Thanks for the inspiration!
I usually scrapbook the event and try to pick photos that reveal the feelings.
I usually scrapbook abut events and not my personal feelings. I use to not like journaling because I am not a big fan of my handwriting, but Shari my CTMH consultant told me that someday when I am gone that my family will have an archive of things that I have written with my own handwriting and it will make my scrapbooks much more personal for them.
I usually always title my page or journal about the emotion I feel about the photograph.
Gina Stockfisch
I hardly ever journal at all but want to do more. I would love to journal how much my son loves his baby sister and how he has been such a wonderful big brother!!
I usually journal about the event, but it often includes the feelings of my girls and I try to use pictures that show that. I am getting caught up on my scrapbooking still (we had a busy summer, fall and winter), so I still need to scrap the first day of kindergarten and everything that has followed.
Sometimes the whole thing just jumps right out at you, the picture, the story, and the journaling.....but when I have difficulty with a story and the journaling I will usually write something comical as I have a commedic nature...and I have found that works quite well.
Paula Stevenson
I like to use hidden journaling, sometimes even a piece attached to the back of the page, to write down emotions that are too intense to share publicly in the scrapbook.
Paige
I've been putting off my wedding day pages because I want them to be perfect!
Redefining the relationship with my husband as we became empty nesters....it's such a process to find that relationship again post kids in the house! But it can be a lot of fun too!
I journal about events as well as feelings. Some of my favorite pages are interviews I have conducted with my children. It's great to look back and see what their favorite foods were or their favorite subject in school. I especially like to quote them word for word because kids do say the darndest things!!
One summer day when my son was refusing to go outside to play, I convinced him by sending him on a photo scavenger hunt to photograph things that began with each of the five letters in his name. He got some amazing pics and I can't wait to tell the story in his scrapbook.
I scrapbook events more than feelings, but I'm working on trying to incorporate more feeling into it. I need to scrapbook about a trip I took with a friend halfway across the country so we could attend a scrapbook convention!
I usually journal the event more than my feelings. It's hard to capture the joy in my life in words. I'd love to scrap my journey in freelance writing sometime. But, first, I want to scrap my long, rewarding journey in mothering my 8 kids. I also want to scrap our journey of 26 years of pastoral ministry. I also want to scrap my childhood farm. Oops! You only wanted 1 sentence!
I have a photo of my dad that is great at a boy scout meeting.
My scrapbooking is usually more about feelings although the feelings can often be related to an event. My one sentence summary is a phrase I have had picked out for years that I want to do in my daughters scrapbook but have yet to do. "Her beauty capture's your eye, her personality captures your heart".
Trisha Bossio
I tend to scrap about events. I've been meaning to get to my youngest's Christening photos, but I am glad for this reminder to do at least one page or set of pages about how we all felt welcoming her into our family.
I do both, I scrap and journal about the events and my feelings at that time. There is one layout that I've been putting off because I want to document my friends passing. I don't necessarily want to scrap the "event" at all, but I want to express my feelings for him AND what I witnesses at his funeral. Thank you for the encouragement to get this done...
I havn't scrapped my daughters whole 2nd grade expeirence yet!!! yikes.
I scrapbook facts, blog feelings. I need to finish my daughters baby book!
In the past I have been leaning more toward the events. I've catching myself and am trying to put more of my feelings into them
Barb K
I am a cross-over.....sometimes just facts, sometimes just feelings, sometimes both. I just finished an album about a trip to Africa that my Grandfather took my sister and I on in 1975! It was so much fun looking back at the pictures. Fortunately I had names of places under the original pictures...so I used the internet to give me the facts to include in the journaling. My sister loved her Xmas present - because it told a wonderful story about a trip we both remember like it was yesterday!!!
I have a hard time journaling. I usually just put what we were doing and the date.
I tend to journal more about the event than the feelings. But I'm defintely going to put more of the feelings into my journaling now. One event I haven't scrapped is the first time our only grandchild came to visit us in our new home, over 2,000 miles away from him. As Granny and Grandpa, that was one of the happiest days of our lives!
I usually scrapbook by event, lately it is our yearly winter vacations that I have been catching up on. I try to write notes while I am there so I remember the feelings and memorable times we had and then I have some journalling done before I even start to scrapbook it!
I don't usually journal emotions because the pictures will bring back that feeling so well. Another goal for me to try to incorporate into journaling. Thanks for the inspiration
Journaling is hard for me so I usually just put the date, who was there and what is going on. Hoping that as I do more layouts it will get easier.
I have usually journaled more about the events but sometimes a bit of the feelings too. I am working on a small scrapbook (6 X 6) of "Mom's Stuff" where the journaling is most important - photos of things my grandmothers gave me, for instance, and the stories that go with them. I need to include the feelings that I have when I see these things that remind me of my grandparents.
The crisp air and the grandeur of this time in Yellowstone National Park evokes wonderful memories of our honeymoon and fresh loving in Mackenzie Gulch....Nanceeq in CO
I journal based on the pictures it could be based on the event or my feelings or mood at the time. I still want to scrapbook my wedding pictures.
My next pages will say "Sebastien is growing up so fast. He's already 6 months old. Look at him go. Jumping away in his jumperoo, eating cereal, and playing with toys. He's now our little man."
I'd like to journal about the family get-togethers that we have where we play a family card game that is generations old. Everybody loves the time together and the time always seems to fly by. When I was a child, I used to play with my cousins while the adults played at my Great Grandmother's house, now my children and nephews are playing together, while we continue the tradition.
I usually journal about the event, but am trying to change it. Recently we raised a puppy for Leader Dogs for the Blind. After many months - the puppy is grown and has been placed with a blind man. I am looking forward to scraping those pictures and journal - it was so nice to have all our hard work pay off!
I have pictures of my son though-out his life and I have not been able to scrapbook any of them because he passed away when he was 23 (almost 15 years ago now) and though I have tried it just brings up too much heartache. Yes, I will go try to do a page now.
I am still waiting to be ready to start scrapbooking pictures of my father with my oldest son as these are very painful to do because he passed away just before Alex turned 1.
I have to beautiful pictures of my best friends firt grandchild playing in the fall leaves. I think it will say "What's this, and can I eat it."
My mom was my best friend. I'd like to get the pictures that tell our story and make a layout.
I am totally an event scrapbooker, not much by way of feelings. And I am very chronological, which makes it difficult because I am VERY backlogged!! :)
I am looking forward to scrapbooking our busy summer ... Cedar Point, Hershey Park, family visits and just the day to day stuff!!
The thought came to me, this morning, that I need to write down some stories of things my children have done and then find pictures to put with them.
Some pictures are so great and full of details, that tell the history so well that don't even need that much of journal... but in general at list I add date & place :)
Bruna Smith*
I have a series of photos that I took of my daughter and son when he was only 5 months old (he is now 3) that I am looking forward to scrapbooking the moment. Thanks for the inspiration!
I like to use hidden journaling or titles that say it all. I have yet to do full journaling on a layout. Hopefully I will try it soon. Angie
I do both, but as my current projects are on my grandkids, I like to let them know what I am thinking about them, our relationship, and I want them to get to know me and I do this through my journaling.
I usually just write about the event, but I'm trying to write more of my personal thoughts. I am planning a layout where I am going to journal about how God used Psalm 139 to comfort me.
I'd love to write about how much books mean to me, how different books and writers were important at certain times in my life.
I usually write about events, I am not good at sharing my feelings through writing. I have yet to scrapbook Christmas and that is what I think I might get started on this evening!
The incredible loving memories my son has of his grandfather.
I usually scrapbook events. I think I need to add more feelings, I like the way your example wrote about her feelings. I need to write about the first day we had school here at home and how scared I was to teach my son and would I be able to teach him to read. Well he is reading and I need to scrap this!
I haven't yet combined my writing with my scrapping. But I do add information about the event - who is in the pictures, date, time. I know that, years from now, I will be trying to remember that sort of thing.
I had my mom here with us the year before she died. While there are some painful memories around the end of her life, I want to create some pages so I can remember those times, and also so I can share earlier times with my grandchildren. They only knew her when she was very elderly, and in the end very infirm. I'd like them to experience her through my eyes at earlier, more carefree times. That will call for some journaling.
My daughter just did an assignment where she had to ask her grandmother questions about growing up during (or after) the depression. I am going to make a page incorporating those answers into the journaling. I only have a few pictures and they don't necessarily show anything about the depression years.
I have managed to put some inner feelings in my daughter's scrapbook. At first, I was condemned by some who looked at the first one I did, but they have warmed up to the idea that it's my and my daughter's scrapbook and I think it's important that she knows how I was feeling at the time. She seems to be quite partial to "her" scrapbooks because they hold so many true feelings.
The feelings I had on my wedding day 23 years ago.
I consider the journalling to be the most important part of scrapbooking.
The event that I need to scrapbook but haven't yet is my daughter's leaving for college. I think I should take photos of her empty bedroom to illustrate.
Brothers, eleven years apart, are best buddies. They enrich each others lives!
I tend to do both. I do events to document them but I like to choose pictures of my children that I love and do a page about them and what they are like or mhow much I love them!
I need to journal all of my memories, because I'm terrible about doing it!
I'm trying to get better at writing about my feelings, but generally I journal about events.
I usually scrapbook events, but lately I am trying to scrapbook my feelings too.
I want to scrapbook about me becoming an incomplete guadrapledgic 23 yrs ago & how I overcame the injury to
the level I am today. cbgirl from Bradford,Ont
I use my feelings mostly and have been putting off my wedding album as they pictures didn't turn out great.
This provoked an interesting idea...Random quotes from the kids at different ages: some funny, some profound, some just plain sweet. A collage page to use as that dreaded first album page with small photo booth type photos and fun quotes or the Picture Perfect Stamp set creating a movie reel frame by frame. Oooh, I'll be up late again tonight! :)
Journaling is probably my biggest challenge. I love the way you used it like an embellishment!
I usually write about stories. I like to use layout, colors and accessories to convey the mood of a scrapbook. Last summer, my grandparents gave me a bunch of pictures of me when I was really little. I'm so excited to scrapbook them with the Twitterpated paper pack.
I don't journal nearly enough, I really need to do more of it and I think now is a good time to start!
I have not journaled any of my scrapbook pages. :( I want to tell way to much, and my emotions get in the way. I do at least get the place and date on the page someplace. I am currently working on 2008 Christmas layouts and I am determined to journal.
I always journal feelings. I kept a daily diary from the time I was 9 until I was 21 and it is absolutely PRECIOUS to me. My scrapbooks have become my journals now. In fact, my creative process is to have a journaling idea pop into my head. I write it down immediately (I carry notebooks with me). Then when I sit down to scrapbook, I use that journaling on my page along with any photos that "speak" to me. I can never start my pages with the photos - the journaling must inspire the page!
I have not made any scrapbook pages and don't journal but both are on my "to do" list eventually. I do like making cards and other papercrafts. Does this take me out of the running for the Felicity goodies for today?
Chris R. from Iowa
I have pictures of my flowers that my family gave to me after having surgery. I have not any pictures from the surgery but the floowers were a very nice surprise. So this will be a page about the event and why I got the flowers but there will be nothing from the event but of course hospital bracelets x 2 because a second visit to the ER for emergency surgery to save my life!
Denise Wells
mamascollections@aol.com
I haven't scrapbooked my wedding and honeymoon photos yet, but will really enjoy it when I do!
I primarily scrapbook events, but have always wanted to scrap a page for each different personality trait my children protray (i.e. mischieveous, shy, wild, silly).
During the recent holidays my Mother and I started scrapbooking old family photos for my brothers and sisters. It has brought back warm and fond memories of our fmily. Expressing our feelings along with dates of special events has been a wonderful time I have been able to share with my Mother. Using the recipe method (from Close To My Heart classes} to make pages has made it possible for me to be able to make 3 books in this period of time. We have one more book to go. I know everyone really likes this gift because they continue to excitiedly give me more special pictures to add to this special family book!
"That horrible turkey pasta we ate will always be the most favorite meal in my life... since its the first one I shared with you. "
I tend to write about both feelings (mine and/or my daughter's) and the event. Sometimes, I'll use hidden journaling for my own feelings and I'll use her answer about how she feels on the page. :)
I'm working on a "ready, set, (don't) go" layout for my daughter's first day of preschool that will include my own feelings (sad, happy, proud) of her first day as well as her own feelings about starting full day Kindergarten. thanks!
I do both events and feelings when I write. I am getting ready to do a story about my son telling me why he wants to be sick, I have no photo for this story so I will be putting one of my favorite pictures of him on the page.
I agree with other that journaling is hard for me. With three young children having time to gather thoughts is hard but the most important thing I can do for them now.
I have so many things to catch up on but I think my youngest's first birthday is on the top!
I had never thought about it before- I suppose I tend to write more about the event, but there is always room for improvement right? Feelings are very important and much funner to read about later on too!
I don't journal enough... and then it is usually just about the event. I am trying to get my daughter to do the journalling now that she is a teenager. I want her to have her views to look back on when she is older.
I'm more of a picture says a 100 words and do less journaling.
I need to scrapbook about how my husband reads to our kids each night before we put them to bed. Will they remember his great pirate voices or growling bear sounds if I don't document it in their scrapbooks? That's a chance I just can't take!
I journal about the event.
I so want to do my boy scout trip to Florida
I scrapbook events, and today my niece was induced for her fourth baby so that will happily be my next project!
I try to incorporate both in the journaling. I am very open about my feelings, and try to be about the others in the photos, but I give them more privacy in case they have reservations about the way others see them.
I would like to scrap what it feels like to be a Grandma. (That would be a great intro layout to the scrapbooks that I'm making of my grandchildren.)
I do both -- I scrap and then I journal about the events and my feelings at that time.
The one layout that I want to do, have thought about it a lot and still mY not quite be ready to do, is one regarding my son, now 20-years old and our relationship. The last six years have really been a struggle for him as well as for me, trying to give him his independence as he reaches for manhood while still parenting him through many hard times due to consequences he has earned, often due to poor choices/judgment. I don't want to scrap the pain of all the situations, but I want to capture how it all impacted our relationship and eventually how I perceive it all affected and changed him. Thank you for encouraging us all to make our journaling truly meaningful.
I have a few I want to do, I could devote a whole album to getting my new car, plus there's my carving class, Christmas parties, trail rides as a teenager that are still patiently waiting their turn. I'm still in the learning stages of how to scrapbook, but so far, I think I'm probably event rather than feeling oriented. Maybe once I catch up on some of the events, I might look at feelings.
I would like to scrap the story of our house being struck by lightning and catching on fire and how the emotions I felt that night are still so easy to recall.
I usually scrap events and leave most of the feelings out, I have been wanting to a book on my grandkids, how I felt when I first saw them and the joy they give me, Now I think I will tackle the book!
I usually scrap events and journal impressions, feelings and stories. I really need to scrap 2009 Christmas for each of my 2 boys (first Christmas for one and first understandin of Santa for the other) ... gotta go scrap! ;)
Thanks for the inspiration!! I will definitely journal about my feelings on my next layout!
I like to tell stories of places we have been and things we have done. I love to journal, but I think I mostly tell stories in my journaling. I have a picture of my dh when he was a child and I want to do a LO of the "child who grows up to be a very fine man"
I've yet to journal about the beautiful picture of my daughter's hands on her wedding day wearing my deceased parents wedding rings. I will get the layout out again and give it another go. Thanks for the "push"!
For my scrapbooks I like to write down at least the place and date of that particular event and usually put some spots with my feelings about it too. It's my way to register that moment.
I tend to journal about events, but I definitely could add more emotions. I'd like to journal about hiking for the first time to the top of a mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park with my husband.
I have trouble journaling about my feelings as well, mostly because when people are at our house they tend to go look through my scrapbooks and I'm not sure I want those private feelings read by a lot of people! But I'm starting to rethink that, because I want my scrapbooks to be more than just a recording of events. Thanks for the inspiration! I have a lot of ideas for journaling now.
I usually journal events but put in quotes from the family. I also like to have my kids write little stories and include them.
When I journal I like to describe an event. Sometimes I'll include my feelings, but I like to remember the moments.
I usually journal events. I want to create a "year in review" scrapbook layout and include more emotion into rather than just the specific events.
I would like to do a layout about my husband and journal about the great things he does for me and how much I appreciate him.
I am attending a retreat soon and I want to focus on making a scrapbook of my first daughter. She is having a difficult time these days. I want to take the time to show her that she really is happy and show her all the photos of her laughing and smiling through the years.
I love to write, and often procrastinate journaling because I want to say it just right. It is much easier to journal dates and about the event, but I prefer to journal more about the feelings.
I do both. I wanted to be a writer when I grew up, so I love to express myself through writing. I just gave birth to my 4th child. I've blogged and also written in my journal about her birth, now I need to scrapbook it! I can't wait to have some time to sit down and do it with Studio J!
Our family dog of 15 years passed away in April, it was such a sad day, I'll never forget it all my life. I didn't know how to over-come my grief but I knew if I could get started on her own scrapbook that someday I'd be able to write my feelings. The scrapbook got put together that same year, but many spaces were left open because no words would come to me. I didn't even know how to write how sad I was. Our kids still haven't finished the book and I know it's time to do so. Thanks for the encouragement to finish her life story about our beloved Katie's life with us. SandySec57@aol.com
I would like to scrap my friends 50th wedding Anniversary Party that I just went to.
My great grandfather always used to use the phrase "One for the good guys" when we were playing cards and they would turn out in his favor. I have been wanting to make a page of various photos of him throughout his life with that phrase on the page. It perhaps seems more symbolic of him now that he has passed than it did when he was winning the card game.
After searching for most of my adult life, I finally discovered that the book I remember from the 1970s is The Great Escape: Or, the Sewer Story!
Wow...that's a great idea. I mostly concentrate on the date, time and event happening on a page, when it would be very interesting to include more thoughts and feelings. I'm going to give it a try with my photos from a recent trip.
My one sentence I need to Journal is: My dearest son, I an so very proud of the man you have become.
I usually journal about the event itself in the pictures. My oldest daughter started band this year and playing the flute. I haven't scrapbooked about it yet but I plan on it and maybe writing in there also how proud I am of her and how great she is doing at it.
I journaling is a mix of both. I want to tell the story of how my daughters name each of the hairdos I do each morning after a specific Disney Princess =).
I have been waiting to scrapbook our family camping/reunion trip we all took up north this summer.
Preparing for my son to leave for West Point--I'll look back over his senior year of high school and how much we enjoyed spending time with him vs. the emptiness of having him gone and preparing for military life.
My page will be titled, 'That's what she said!' with a headshot of my 3-year old, and many of her hysterical verbal doozies lately...today's tidbit, "Bleck! I don't like the ingredients!" Said as she spit out the rice she had tried from my asian beef bowl. So funny!
My baby is going to kindergarten next year and this hits way close to home.
I am more of an event scrapbooker. I never really thought about adding a lot of feelings into them. But I think I'll start trying to do that! Getting around to journaling is always a challenge but I would love to do some scrapbook pages about some family stories that have circulated around for years. Memories that have no real pictures to go with them. How do I do that???
I'm a events girl, but mainly because I cannot get what's in my mind/inside my heart out into words. As I continue to evolve in my scrapbooking I hope to one day be able to do exactly as you said, to journal about the stories and to celebrate relationships by writing about inner thoughts. One day it will be that way.
doramiyi
My wedding has not been scrap yet. I would have to say: I married the one I love forever.
I journal both ways. I want to scrapbook our dinner at a German restaurant, complete with accordian player. I plan on including a pic of my hubby's dad (long passed away) who used to play accordian in a band. Those will be the only memories our kids will have of their grandpa...through photos.
I just have been working on the christmas 2009 pictures and have some showing 3 generations. I told my story on that page with the title stating Tradition. It is so important to me that occasions like that get documented for our future generations.
I usually journal events more than feelings but want to change that. When my oldest son was almost 3, he went out in the cow pasture & wouldn't come back. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. He kept yelling "deer tracks Mommy" I thought there was now way he knew what deer tracks were but when I waddled out there sure enough there were deer tracks. I have always wanted to scrap it but don't have any pictures. Thanks for the inspiration. I now have an idea of how I'm going to do it. He'll soon be 13. Thanks, Karen in IL
I'm not great at jounaling. I have the pictures but not much journaling.
I have some pictures taken at a dinner where my boyfriend and I tried some new recipes. Those were fun occasions. When I scrapbook, I want to include this:
"It is not just trying out new recipes with you, but also to explore every day and everything with you. My life becomes so much more meaningful when I am with you."
I wrote everything down but haven't done the layout yet. Thanks for the push to get it done!
Work from home India
I tend to write more about events but wish I wrote more about feelings. Just wanted to say that this blog was awesome and I would love to see it continue even after Felicity is gone.
I not so love journaling as I can not tell shortly, it turns out too long, and that at me is not located.
I like to place simply sayings and headings.
I like to do albums about events, for example, about a bottom a birth, or walk, a trip, a holiday... To write about personal it is better in a diary or art-journal)
I usually journal my feelings, I just had a baby and need to get started on his album. I don't want to forget how I felt.
I tend to write about events more than feelings. Often my scrapbooks are just travel logs of family vacations. I'd like to branch out into more everyday pages. This blog just made me remember a family camp experience last summer in which we convinced my father to join us for the first time. Our family goes every year but we've never gotten my parents to join us. My mother had just passed on and he was feeling depressed so I thought he'd enjoy this time with us. He really resisted at first but finally agreed. Afterward he said he was so glad he had. It was just what he needed. I'd love to journal some of this.
Journaling is one of my hardest thing to accomplish in scrapbooking . I do get the dates and person but like the personal touch of what is going on in the picture also.
Even though my hand writing is bad I try to put something on the page or use the computer. My consultant says to just look at the picture and start talking about what is going on and your thoughts at the time the picture was taking.
Post a Comment