Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 24: Are You a Felicity Booster?

Spiritual leaders worldwide have told their followers that true happiness comes through service to others. Making others happy makes you happy, they say.

We believe that’s true. Serving others is one of the best pick-me-ups around. Sometimes, though, we don’t give ourselves credit for the service we do every day. Sometimes we are the answer to a prayer, and we don’t even realize it. Sometimes, we spend most of our time serving others, and yet we don’t think about how we make them happy (and maybe the recipients of our service don’t realize it either!).

What service do you do that you don’t credit for? Here are a few ideas to get your mind turning:

• You let a car turn in front of you, even though you were in a hurry, too.
• You searched up and down to find your son’s missing teddy bear so he could sleep peacefully.
• You saw that someone at the grocery store was 12 cents short, so you gave them a quarter so they wouldn’t have to put something back.
• You got a phone call from an upset friend and you sat down and listened.
• You saw an elderly man with a walker fumbling to open the door of the library, so you opened it for him.
• You noticed that someone’s hair looked nice, and you told them so.
• You made salmon for dinner, even though you hate seafood, because you knew it was your husband’s favorite dish.
• You made anything for dinner and shared it with anyone at all!

How do you boost others’ felicity? What ways do you make people happy, perhaps without even realizing it? We’d love to hear. Please leave a comment telling us about your unrecognized service. We will choose one commenter to win a free Felicity Collection papercrafting collection. Have a happy National Papercrafting Month! Keep checking back every day in January for more chances to win.

116 comments:

Me Again said...

I try to be polite and pleasant to people even if I'm not in a super great mood myself, and even if everything isn't going perfectly in the interaction. The supermarket cashier might just be having a rough day herself - there's no need for me to add to that by being grumpy about a slow line. I try to see the other person's point of view, even if it doesn't align with my own. If I do discuss a sticky issue with someone I try to do so in a non-confrontational way. And, yes, I'll hold doors for strangers, and ask if I can help someone who looks like they are struggling. We've got to do our best to make the world a better place - little things add up.

Anonymous said...

I was just entering the medical center for an appointment I had. Before getting to the ticket booth, there was a van with a couple of ladies in it and the hood of the van was up.......I stopped and asked them if they needed help. They needed a boost, now this was going to be interesting....guess we needed booster cables, which I found in my trunk thanks to my wonderful husbabnd who is always thinking of me....I got her all hooked uo voila she had the van going....I was a few minutes late for my appointment but sooo worth it. This made me feel wonderful all day.......

Unknown said...

I strive to always remember not everyone knows what I know, and when I learn something of interest, pass it along to those in my circle. Pam W.

Julie said...

I try to treat others like I would like to be treated.

Nicole said...

I always try to be considerate to others when I am out and about. I would want someone to be considerate to me, so I figure its good to be nice to people around me. My neighbors tell me that I am always happy and offer a smile even if my day has been crappy.

Nalazoo said...

It's hard to think of things, as these are things that I do naturally, without thinking - its part of who I am. I'm always smiling & cheerful. I hold doors open for others, pick up things that fall, and always have time to listen. I share what's worked for me in the hopes that it will help others. I offer prayers and give out hugs without reservation.

Becky said...

I saw an older gentleman in a electric cart at the grocery trying to read something off a jar on a high shelf. I stopped to help him and continued to shop along with him to give him help when he needed it. I helped him put his things away in his car and stood there chatting away for a little while. As I was driving away there he was blowing me kisses. He was just the cutest. It really made my day!

laura o said...

we never really know what others are going through in their personal lives so i try to remember to put others peoples needs before my own. it might simply be a kind word, a smile, or a hug.

Katie said...

I like to point out to parents when their children are fussy that they just had enough shopping and remind them that I remember those days....... they don't really last all that long, but become just memories. I like to make it a point of thanking a clerk who helps me find my way through to the things I need or shows patience when I am not 'catching on' to what they are trying to tell me. My favorite thing to do is to send cards/letters to people. Some of these, I've only met through answering an ad in a magazine, but they want to continue correspondence so I write every month or so as I know it's so nice to have real mail in the mailbox, too. (I am cautious to who I write to)

Kelli said...

I smile all the time...I even smile at rude people...I figure if you spread a little sunshine....it might catch on.

Jamie Jay said...

I give to my church and other charities, I can not see the results with my eyes, but I am surely blessed and am happy to share what I have.

Cindy Vernon said...

I work at a school and many times give students a break on fees or let them print or make copies for free.

Denise said...

I don't really think about stuff that I do..I just do it. Like letting someone go in front of me in the grocery line because they have 2 items to my 20. I always try to see the good in things. If you focus on the bad, then that is what you become. Negativity doesn't belong in the world. There is too much of it already. Hopefully by treating someone with kindness they in turn will do the same to someone else. You just never know who's day you may turn around by just being considerate and kind. WWJD is my motto and I try hard to live by it.

Juliet A said...

I leave comments on blogs, even when I'm not bribed to do so with prizes!

Kellen's Mom said...

I try to be there for people that need a little help sometimes, like a neighbour who has a little baby in the hospital, I prepared some meals for them to have when they were able to come home.

Cheri Hill said...

I was shopping at Wal-Mart one day when a women asked me for help locating an item. Turns out, she was blind and couldn't find what she was looking for. I stayed with her and helped her with the rest of her shopping. Afterwards I drove her and her seeing eye dog home so she wouldn't have to ride the bus. It was very nice to help someone who needed it.

Sheila H said...

I smile and greet people with a cheery word, even when I'm feeling down. I also don't respond with anger to rudeness from others. I find most people are taken aback when their lack of civility is met with a calm response. I like being nice to people.

Brittany said...

Whenever I'm with someone who is having a bad day, I always try to remind them that there is always a positive to a negative situation. It tends to give them a happier perspective, which is important. :)

Rebecca Landin-Smith said...

SMILE!

Lorrinda said...

I always try to live by the golden rule, treat others as you would like to be treated. It is usually infectious!

Anonymous said...

My neighbors are so helpful and friendly! Fortunately, many of my neighbors are all helping each other out. That is an encouragement and help in need. One of my next door neighbors an elderly lady helped me out when I had a frozen pipe burst due to a cold front and allowed me to use her shower, water, etc. for a few days until a plumber came out. I help her out with feeding her Petting Zoo and lifting 50-pound bags of grain and bales of hay! If there ever was a Felicity booster, that certainly is one of many!
Audrey - horsebasket1@yahoo.com

Laura said...

I have given rides home to people I don't know from the grocery store. Older women who are waiting for cabs in the middle of a snow storm. It's 5-10 minutes out of my life and it gets them home safe.

JC said...

Not only do I try to live by the golden rule, I am trying to teach my children how to as well. My boys know that they are to always open the door for others, especially the elderly. The also know that it is the little things that count like offering assistance even when you are not asked. Hopefully it will be like second nature to them!

Judi said...

I've worked at the local soup kitchen two times this year already and have decided that this volunteer activity has enriched my life ten-fold. I will try to help out the less fortunate people in our area by serving them the food at the soup kitchen at least 10 times this year.

Anonymous said...

I try to be pleasant to everyone I meet and and do whatever I can to be helpful and always with a smile.

Unknown said...

I pick up two girls on my way to my scrapbooking classes as they don't have a car or another ride. I bring my grandma to Bingo as it's her only passion and she can't go by herself. I don't like Bingo but I love her.

Nina N said...

I try to do all the little things around the house that everyone takes for granted, without telling them that I did them all ;)

Unknown said...

I am volunteering to help people through several different charities this year.

Haley D., the Inky Scrapper said...

Focusing on the positive is something that I hope I give to those around me! Today, the (not-so-little) unappreciated thing I am doing for my family is LAUNDRY!

sgoodbrand said...

I am a massage therapist, and I try to give every treatment 100% of my thought and energy. I try to treat people the way that I would like to have a massage. I even visualize myself getting the treatment while giving it so that I am more tuned into my patients.

Anonymous said...

I am growing my hair out because my hubby likes it better longer, even though I would prefer it to be shorter.

Gina Stockfisch

Erin said...

When I send care packages to my kids away at college, I include a little something for their roomates or friends. I especially try to remember the kids whose parents don't have time or can't be bothered to send anything. "Big kids"
love homemade goodies and the fact that someone is thinking of them.

Heidi said...

I call my grandma every week because she loves to hear from me! I used to pick up my neighbor walking home from the cemetery. He smelled strongly of garlic so I just rolled down the windows so I could breathe! I love it when people let me in while driving, so I try to let people in too!

sandyh50 said...

I am a pretty happy person so I am always telling someone I like their hair, their shirt etc. My students at school love to hear these positive messages and so do the adults!

Anonymous said...

I smile. That may sound like nothing, but I'm a happy person. I find it makes others happy. Love it when it gets returned! Felicity around here is warm oatmeal for breakfast. And I feel joy when it's me who made that happen.
Thank you for all the smiles you give me after completing a layout, because I then have more to share with others. Thanks for the joy you breed - for me to spread. :) JuanitaWright

lacey said...

I like to give homeless people change. One year it was raining out I had a blanket in my car that I just bought for a gift, so I gave it to a cold homeless person and later replaced the present I had given away.

waiseone said...

I try to smile and say hi to everyone that I encounter. Even when someone is rude or is trying to look away I say hi or shoot them a smile. Some days this is hard as I have a lot going on in my life right now but seeing someone smile back at me boosts my spirits too.

Shauna said...

When I am making purchased and I can tell the cashier is having a bad day, just dealt with a mean customer or the person in front took forever to be rung out, I just try to make the cashier a little less stressed by being nice and telling them that I am in no hurry so it is ok.

Darlys said...

I believe that the smile is the cure for a lot of misery. I teach my students that it's a choice to be upset or search for a positive that we can learn from the situation; "when you get a lemon, make lemonaide". We can learn a lesson from the people in Haiti who are singing while surrounded by rubble. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound!

Anonymous said...

I try to be positive with everyone even when I'm not feeling up to it! Also, we live in MT and the weather can get pretty bad at times. I drive a 4x4 truck and have pulled a few people out of the snow on my way to work. One day truck after truck kept going around this lady that was stuck in her SUV. I pulled over and turned on my hazards and went to see how I could help, turned out she just bought it and didn't know how to use the 4wheel drive. I gave her a quick 4 wheel drive course and drove her out of the snow and she was on her way. I was a couple minutes late for work but it was worth it to help her out. I also got a kick out of all the guys that pulled over after I got out of the truck to help her! We had it handled before they got to us so she liked that she didn't have to feel embarressed by showing the guys why she was stuck. It started my day off right!

Karen said...

Just try to follow the golden rule--treat others how you want to be treated.

Teresa said...

I try to have good manners -- holding doors for people, helping people get things off high shelves in stores, letting people merge into traffic, smiling and telling people to have a good day, etc.

Trishkj said...

I smile and start conversations with strangers whenever I go out. It's so fun! And, for my family, I make their favorite foods every chance I get!

Anonymous said...

I am trying hard not to earn the dreaded MOTHER-IN-LAW title. I think I am doing okay as my daughter-in-law to be just informed me that when she asks me my opinion I don't always expect her to follow it but she more often than not she does. Don't know what she will say when I become a grandmother.

Barb

Unknown said...

I try to treat others - the way I hope they would treat me :}

Amy Ulen said...

I'm a teacher, so I've spent the last 20 years in service to the youth of my community. I also run an educational website and provide that service free of charge to teachers and students around the world.

Anonymous said...

I wave at people when I'm driving, smile & speak to everyone I meet. I open doors & try to help when I can. I'm short so many times it is me trying to reach something off a high shelf.. Karen

LARAINE said...

My mother lives in the memory care unit of a nursing home. I am her advocate, but she doesn't know that. She knows me but doesn't realize that I visit her daily, help her to eat, etc. It's fun to interact with the other residents also. The whole experience is a blessing.....for me.

Rachel said...

My favorite is giving an anonymous gift/donation to a friend in need. I would hate for them to feel obligated to me in return. So I give secretly, just to meet their need and bless them! I love the feeling of carrying around a little secret in my heart.

Elaine said...

If I'm at a craft store and have a coupon that I don't need to use, I will give it to another shopper. It's fun to see smiles on the faces of "strangers."

Janette said...

I love to cook, and so at least once a week, I make some extra and take to a neighbor. There are so many in need right now, and a homemade meal is always a nice way to boost someone's spirits.

Jody said...

When I walk in to work every morning, I always say Good Morning to every one with a smile on my face (most days anyway). It's something that I do. One day a lady in the back customer service area noticed that I hadn't said anything this particular morning and she asked if I was having a bad day and I wasn't really, I was just alone with my own thoughts, I guess. She made comment that that was how she started her day everyday with a cheerful smile and salutation from me. Never knew anyone really noticed, but it made me feel good that I had helped in getting their day off to a good start!

Geri Conley said...

A smile goes a long way. I am teaching my teenagers to smile at other drivers when they drive. I consider myself a person of service and I like to help out wherever I am needed.

Unknown said...

Volunteering at the local food bank gives me a good feeling.

Michele said...

This past Thursday a friend's car died in the pick-up line at school, blocking all kinds of traffic. As I drove up beside her & learned what was wrong (dead battery), I turned my car completely around (with the school employees blocking the cars), so the gym teacher could use my car to jump hers off. I know she was embarressed and very thankful to get help so quickly.

Sheila Bennett said...

Always try to be pleasant and to use the phrase 'thank you.'

Anonymous said...

I try to be there for my Mom, at work I help in every way I can to meet my co-worker' needs, smile in the hallways, give Great customer service, my friends, I try to keep in touch with them. I'm there for my Grandchildren, I took off work Friday to stay with Morgan because she had fever for the 3rd day...and now she has measles...!SandySec57@aol.com

Simonetta Bois (Simmie) said...

I always try to make sure everyone is happy for example: When I sold my house and bought another I had a profit from the sale of my house. I have two step-daughters. I gave one $500 and the youngest I repaired her carfor over $600 and bought her a digital camera. I paid for my husband to go on a once-in-a-life time ski vacation in Colorado. I always do little things for the youngest (she's 23) like her laundry so she can got out with a friend, make her lunch when she doesn't have time. It makes me happy to help others in small ways such as opening doors, reaching for something on a shelf for someone, helping someone pull into a parking lot, pick up a toy that a little one had dropped. I'm always doing stuff like that because it is how I would like to be treated and it just plain old makes me happy.

Paige Dolecki said...

There are very few world leaders and as individuals we aren't often given the opportunity to make changes that affect the whole world BUT we all have the personal power to make our own little corner of the world a better place. I try to be the change I want to see in the world.

Paige

Parchey Family said...

I do try to live by the moto "Do onto others as you would done onto you." I often let people turn when they are waiting on traffic because I know how it feels to be stuck and it seems everyone just keeps on going by. I also want my children to learn to be kind people without really having to think about it. Angie

monicac said...

I recently got back into the workforce and had to be trained in some areas. We also teach students as they pass through our department. Some of my coworkers are not patient, but as a person who just recently went through this process, I give them some pointers that I had problems with that might otherwise be forgotten.

Teresa Jaye said...

I try to be conscious of what the people around me might need. For instance, when walking in to the grocery, if there is a mom loading children and groceries into her car, I'll take the cart back for her so she doesn't have to leave the children to do it. It is those little things that can just make someone's day. If everyone would just smile and be pleasant, the world would be a happier place - but we can do that one person at a time!

Debbie Taylor said...

Being a Good Samaritan is a mindset...it is not something you think about...it is something you just do. It takes practice when you are young and it is good to have good examples around you to model after, but that is not necessary. As in all things, if you want to do something, cultivate a skill or trait, you must choose it and even without good examples around you, with practice, you will "get it" and eventually, it is just part of your nature, giving to and serving others. God blesses you back ten times over, so it is not about getting credit, to me, it is more about honoring and glorifing God. He is the only one who needs to "see" what you or I do. We can each make great impact if we cultivate a servant's attitude and heart.

Nicole Steele said...

I have dedicated myself to my family and my church. Everything I do (even in my free time) is because of them.

Anonymous said...

I like to make my neighbor thinking of you cards, or leave her something on her doorstep, like a welcome home card and a small potted plant, after she returns from a business trip. I know it makes her day, and makes me happy that I can bring a smile to her face. Karen C

Anonymous said...

I like to treat people like I would hope to be treated. Sometimes just doing that can be a challenge but I just try to believe that I'm planting a seed wherever I go.
jessica from Iowa

marlene said...

I'm one of the youngest members at our Senior Center (I teach a Scrapbook class there). I try to be aware of those members who seems lonely and try to give hugs.

Carolyn said...

I like to look for opportunities to make a small difference wherever I am, whether its pulling out change for a person in front of me in line who is digging hard through their purse or letting someone cut in front of me in traffic. If we all treated each other this way, I know the world would be a happier place.

Unknown said...

Most store check out people always say "Hi, how are you?" I always say "fine" and ask how their day is going. It seems to put a smile on their face. I also say "Have a great day" to them.
I do demos in the grocery stores, and because I am in one spot all day, customers always as "Me" where things are. It isn't part of my job, but I alway help them find what they are looking for, or at least tell them what aisle it is on.
I also sort food for our church bank.
There has been quite a few times that someone has needed their car jumped, and we were able to help. They always are very greatful, and it makes us feel good. We think of our children, and if they had car trouble, I would hope someone would help them.
I get a lot of company and I alway keep their dietary needs in mind when planning for their visit. Some have been quite challenging.
You never know what kind of problems others might have, and a smile or a Hello just might make them feel better.

Brendakaye said...

I try to always help Moms and dads with kids, offering to watch them, letting them go ahead of me in line, I can remember being a mother of 3 under the age of 4 and how hard it was and I always try to lend a hand when I can

Gretel said...

A genuine smile goes a long way. The grouchy ones are the people who need it the most:)

featheredheaven said...

I try to treat people in the way that I would like to be treated...with kindness, respect, politeness etc.
I would do anything for anybody if at all possible. Sometimes this isn't always the easiest thing to do when you are sometimes dealing with someone who maybe didn't have a good day, but realizing that we all have our moments will make it easier to help that person and hopefully make their day better.

Carolann said...

Show respect... value your friends... smile!

Michelle Louise said...

There are a couple of intersections in our town that transports have a tough time with -- I like to invite them to go ahead of me. I also try to recognize the great things that others do; a small compliment can go a loooong way ... and you never know when you can brighten someone's dismal day. Michelle LB

Unknown said...

I have a much better understanding of using the computer than most of the people at the nursing home where I work. I get called all day long to help somebody do something they can't figure out. I love the light in their eyes when I teach them how to do something (sometimes as simple as how to forward and email) that will help them do their job more effectively.

Sonya said...

I try to teach others to "find their OWN inner creativity". Creating beautiful things is not only my stress reliever, but my way of helping others relieve stress and feel good about themselves. When you can take your skill or talent and share it with others, and then they realize that they, too, have that talent - well, it really feels good to make others feel good about themselves!

Stephanie Lynn said...

I love doing little things for my husband while he's at work. Yesterday, he had trouble finding a clean shirt for work. He works at a restaurant and is always getting all sorts of stuff on his white shirts. He usually ships them off to his mom because she works at a dry cleaners, but I decided to take my day off and see if I could work some magic. I was successful. :) It might not seem like much but it certainly made his day.

Denise said...

I like to share, especially when it comes to my scrapbooking supplies! I love to bring what I have and let others use what they need, then then when I need something, everyone is more than happy to share with me!!

Anonymous said...

I try to sincerely compliment 10 people per day, including strangers. This helps me see good in others that I might not ordinarily look for. It spreads cheer to those I compliment. I also try to thank people who share their skills or serve me even in small ways.

Randy said...

I let others who have few grocery items to go in front of me. This is always appreciated.

jessicaF said...

I give my kids clothes they grow out of, that are still in nice condition, to my friends at work who don't have alot of money. I offer to my single mother friends to watch there kids for a night if they want to get some alone time. I've been in that position, and I know how hard it is.

Anonymous said...

Ive never thought i was really helping anyone out until i had to think about it..but i am a stay at home mom to 5 small children, i home school them everyday but Sunday. It has to be the hardest job in the world...but i know that its the best job ever! My children are in the best surrounding, learning at their highest potential because of me and MY decision to homeschool them. That is my best service to others!

qsogirl said...

I try and make sure that I say thank you to people who have helped me in some way or another-- the bus driver, the secretary, the person who gets the door for me.

Michele said...

I try to remember all my friends birthdays and send them a little gift or card. I also like to send just random hand made cards to my friends to brighten their day!!!

Cheryl P said...

I try to do something nice for someone I don't know when I am out shopping-- sometimes its just a smile or I say "have a nice day" and really mean it. Just holding the door for someone with packages is appreciated

Jenn said...

Last night I stopped a woman as she was leaving and told her I had no idea there were pre-teen boys sitting at her booth (right behind us) because they were so quiet and well-behaved. She definitely appreciated it!

Joanne said...

A smile is contagious!

Rosalynd Kelly said...

There are so many little things I do that I hope makes someone else's day a little brighter....holding the door for a mom struggling with a stroller, letting someone in the traffic line, offering to pick my son up when he thinks he will have to take the bus, cooking my family's favorite meals, surprising my Mom in Nova Scotia with a visit from the other side of the country on her birthday (I leave on Wednesday!!)

Michelle H. said...

I volunteer as much as I can, and try to get my children involved as well.

triciagall said...

I was at the store recently and was in the coffee aisle. I grabbed my coffee and saw an elderly lady standing nearby. I looked at her and smiled. Then smiled back and then asked me if I could reach on the top shelf and get some coffee for her that she was buying for her neighbor. Even though this was such a little thing I did, it really made me feel good that day. I know how much I enjoy my cup of coffe and now someone else will be enjoying their cup of coffee too!

Anonymous said...

Hard to pinpoint just one special one. As I scroll through the other answers - I find myself doing a lot of them - from just a smile to volunteering. A lending hand when needed. As several said, I treat people how I would hope they would treat me.

Chris R. from Iowa

Unknown said...

I like to be upbeat and smiley when around others. I try to be positive in all situations. I love to share my knowledge or give suggestions to those around me. Treat others as I would like to be treated.

shena84 said...

I have notice when I just call someone just to say "hi" makes there day. A smile makes a person so happy as well. I try my best to treat other like I want to be treated.

Sherry Hawa said...

As others have mentioned, I don't normally think much about these actions as anything special, but I do try to be cheerful, even in not so cheerful situations. I try to keep an upbeat attitude and find positive things to "hang my hat on." Hopefully, these small things make a positive difference in someone's day.

Unknown said...

If I think something nice about someone, I tell them. Whether its a compliment on their outfit or hair, or if I am grateful for them in my life. What's the point of thinking something good about someone if they don't hear about it?
-Shannon in Columbia, MO

Debbie said...

I try to always put a positive spin on things, help others with the small things whether I know them or not, and speak kind words to everyone. I have volunteered to work with teenagers in our church since 1986 because I want to make a difference in their lives.

Anonymous said...

We used to have an older man phone into the office where I work and he would begin the phone conversation with "You look really nice today". Even though I knew he couldn't see me, it would always make me smile and think about how I really looked to people who could see me. I now always try to smile when I answer the phone.

Hanna Ahn said...

If I have a huge cart in the grocery store, I ask people behind me if they want to in front if they only have a few items. A small thing to do but people seem so grateful. I wish people would extend the favor to me when I only have a few things to buy. :)

Tonya W said...

I try to tell cashiers Thank you, Have A nice Day & God Bless You. I also try to help any elderly people I see in the store. One day I had a confirmation of my good deeds when I saw my son (without any prompting) start taking items out of a wheelchair cart in Wal-Mart that was in front of us and placing the itmes on the counter. Then he placed the bagged items back in the lady's basket. He even asked her if she needed assistance getting to her car. I was beaming from ear to ear --- my felicity has rubbed off on my son!!!

Corrie said...

I try to give anonymously to family and friends, sometimes they find out it was me but not always. One time I bought my sister a bunch of groceries since she was out of work. I planned to sneak into her apt and put them away. Unfortunately she moved the spare key and her neighbour had to let me in.

Elisa L. said...

It's nice that you are giving us the forum to acknowledge the good that we've done for others. I work as a nurse. It is important for me to know how much I am appreciated for the care I provide to my patients. However, it is not always the case, given a person's circumstance or situation that have themselves or their loved ones in the hospital. I would like to be recognized for my every day commitment to my patients and the compassion and quality of care I provide in this service. It is part of who I am. I am a nurse.

Lora said...

I like to encourage people, be a listening ear, give compliments freely and regularly and let people know they are special and loved.

Semi Granola Mom said...

I am one who likes to let atleast one car out when traffice is backed up :)
~C

Unknown said...

I volunteer at my son's school about 20 to 30 hours a week, just trying to make a difference! I have also started volunteering in my sister's classroom once a week for an hour.

mommyme said...

I do not like negative things... Somebody close to me is going through a break up after many years. She is a strong lady but still needs support. I try to listen even though it is hard for me to do that.

I spread happiness by saying what I feel and how I feel, honesty is felicity to me.

Unknown said...

I am a nurse at a hospital. I see people going through difficult times. I try and make their visit as pleasant as I can. I think there is always something you can do or say to a person to make them feel better even if it is for a short period of time.

Crafty Stamper said...

I do volunteer work whenever I can. I always try to be cheerful and happy. I always make sure to say hi and smile. I find it changes people.

Tara said...

I think everyday being a mom and serving my family is a great way of unrecognized service. Just doing the little thinks like doing my kids and husbands laundry, making them dinner, making them treats, packing lunches for school, the list could go on and on. But I do it all because they are special and I love them.

Doramiyi said...

Providing care to those who are most acutely ill, even if it means no coffee break, no lunch/supper break, sometimes not even a bathroom break. And despite the often stressful conditions and how most people often don't realized/recognize just how much stretched to the max (physically, mentally, & emotionally) it is, it is always worth it when I see the silhouette of them leaving with their loved ones.

doramiyi

Shirley said...

I try to always have a positive attitude and give encouragement to others.

jeffmom said...

I've been taught by my parents that we can always help others, without asking something in return. And I've learned so much about ths phylosophy. Even serving others may cost me something or make some sacrifice .

Cheryl said...

With my job, I deal with the public on a constant basis. I'm always sure to be cheerful and pleasant every contact, showing people I really care. Even though my "customers" don't have a choice to go anywhere else, I want them to feel like they'd want to come back if they did! :)

Myra Grodzuik said...

I've been told that I have a tendency to give too much. Whether it is my time, stuff or just even a smile I am always giving. I once was told how nice it was that I always smiled. My reply was even though I smile on the outside it doesn't always mean I am smiling on the inside. In other words life is too short to be mad or upset over the little things so just smile, it goes a long way!!

Anonymous said...

Around the area where I live, a lot of people do not have vehicles and I see a lot of people walking, mostly to the grocery store; sometimes with children and sometimes when it is very cold. I try to go out of my way to give these folks a ride even if I am not going that way.

smahrty said...

I think women are natural caregivers and we do these types of things all the time without even realizing it. I am amazed at this country where we have so much, yet give so little. I try to always be aware of those that have less and give whatever I can, from opening/holding a door for an older person to giving my volunteer time and funds to a charity.

Rachel Carter said...

Well, always doing something or another. It has always been in my nature to take care of others first. Although, I don't really talk about it. More of the silent don't want any credit type of gal. So all I will say is that it happens everyday and you never know you may be next. :o)

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2009–2010 Celebrate National Papercrafting Month with Felicity!
All rights reserved worldwide. Downloading or copying this Web page or images therein is a violation of copyright.