Let’s grab one of our favorite stamps from the Felicity Collection: the large flower. Pretty cute as-is, don’t you think? Oh, but we’re going to kick it up a notch.
1. Stamp on your base paper.

2. Stamp the same image on your accent paper.

3. Cut out part of the accent image, following the stamped lines. In this case, we’ll cut out the center of the flower. And while we're at it, we will cut out the base flower image too.

4. Adhere cut-out piece right over the base image.

You’ve mastered Tricky Technique #1! Ok, so maybe “tricky” isn’t the right word for this quick and easy technique. But “tricky technique” sounds so impressive! And the look you get makes people think you’re tricky. Just keep our secret weapon (the stamp, remember?) on the down-low.
For our giveaway today, we’d like to know your favorite Close To My Heart stamp set for paper piecing. And if you’re new to it, take a peek on your Consultant’s MyCTMH site and pick a set you’d like to use for paper piecing. We’ll draw a name randomly to choose a winner of the Felicity Collection. Remember to come back tomorrow for more ideas and giveaways!

166 comments:
I love "Famiy Ties" for paper piecing. In the spring 2010 catalog, they're on page 60. Check it out and see who's in your family...
I love the SMILES stamp set with the various flowers. I think those cold easily be pieced! Great techniques. I am really getting some great ideas from these different techniques...
I have done paper piecing with die-cuts, but never thought about using a stamp. Thanks for helping me think outside the box. Browsing the catalog I bet the Damask Tiles would be fun to try.
I don't have this set yet, but I think that Endless Love would be a great one to use for this technique. You could use almost any of the stamps to paper piece and have a great dimensional look. Love all these ideas. Can't wait to try them.
I'm a new stamper and am just starting my collection! Since I'm new, I will pick a stamp to comment on. The Aspiration stamp set looks like it would be great for paper piecing! The flower petals, especially on the stamp with the nectar, could easily be made different colors to give a 3-D effect.
I love paper piecing! I use it all the time for cards and scrapbook pages. I just gives a little extra dimension. I love the All Decked Out stamp set! It's too much fun! :)
Great paper piecing idea! I love this collection, so pretty.
Your paper piecing looks lovely.
I have done a few paper piecing, but have not been to happy with them. I am just working on a Stardust layout of my two grandson, and I am doing a rocket paper piecing.
I am thinking that One of a Kind out of the new Spring 2010 would be a neat set to try this out on...I am in love with that set and can't wait to get it ordered.
Great idea to start this blog. I am new to stamping other than just stamping a image on a layout so I am loving everything that Close to My Heart is teaching me. What a great company to be a part of.
I have done this a few times and love how easy it is to add color. I can't say I have one stamp set I pull out more then another.
I just paper pieced a few of the cakes from Piece of Cake today. They come out so cute!
I just finished a scrapbook layout with the You Rock set. My son is in a "garage band" and I included pictures of the band along with the lyrics of the songs he wrote. I paper-pierced the guitar and the heart.
I love to do this technique. Gives the piece so much more life. Too many stamp sets for one favorite, but I still just love Friendship Blessings and in the Winter 09 catalog: Welcome Home.
I like paper piecing, it allows me to use pop dots to give dimension. It just takes so much work when I am having a lazy scissors day (sometimes being a lefty is hard).
The Posterboard Alphabet set is fun to paper piece. The candle from Candlelight would be fun to do. An older set that is great for piecing is Whimsy Garden. Lots of options there.
I have done paper piecing with Neighborhood by layering the houses to give them some depth and I have also used Framed moments because I wanted to put a word in the middle but not have the lines. The "I am" set from Tickled Pink is another great one to use for this.
I certainly enjoy all the projects on this blog cannot wait to try some of them.
Laura
great technique ... so elegant yet so simple! One of my favroutie stamp sets is an oldie, D1112 Seasonal Celebration. So nice for cards ... and I use it in my classroom for cards to introduce stamping. The parents are always impressed with the cards!
I love this technique for adding texture and dimension! I love paper piecing with any of the Ms. stamps. I like giving her different outfits using B&T paper.
i love paper piecing whoo loves you and you're a hoot owls
Whoo loves you is my favorite set for paper piecing too!
With paper piecing and the Bird Basics stamp set, you can make some really cute birds. :)
Wow. The possibilities are endless.
I don't mind cutting out images so I'll do paper piecing with just about any stamp set I own (and that is a LOT)! My favorite alphabet to do this with is hands down Posterboard (that is one awesome set). I'm looking forward to getting the new set "Smiles" in my next order and doing some piecing with those adorable and whimsical flowers!
Paige
I don't paper piece very often, but maybe I should start!
That is what i love about the quality of CTMH stamps. It is so easy to make amazing images when you stamp and paper piece. It is great technique.
My favorite set to use is the all decked out snowman. I made 32 Christmas cards last year using him and they turned out awesome!
Again a great idea. Looking forward to the rest of the month.
Barb K Tinley Park, IL
I have not done paper piecing yet. I think CTMH has a lot of stamps that would work great for this. I will have to give it a try.
I love doing this, I would like to try Extreme Happiness on page 43 of new book
I love to paper piece C1340 Aspirations, among other stamp sets! Pam W.
C1323 Whooo Loves You is a fun set to do paper piecing with. The owl's chest feathers look so cute pieced.
true happiness is PERFECT for paper piecing :)
~C
I love this technique. I've used it with "Delightful Things" (D1369) to give the flower more color. So cute!!
I think paper piecing is most fun with a floral stamp set. Would be hard to choose my favorite! Have lots of "vintage" favorites!
Shannon MArklowitz
I love this technique with the Welcome Home (D1370) set. I love to stamp the couch on printed paper and cut out the pillows. I add the "printed pillows" to my couch stamped on my base piece.
My Endless Love looks like a great stamp set to use for paper piecing. Thanks for the idea.
The Ms. sets are terrific for paper piecing .... it's a fun way to change their clothing and accessories so they fit with any layout or card you may be using them on.
One of the great things with stamping and paper piecing is that you always have an embellishment that matches what you are doing ... and the price is right!
I have never tried paper piecing yet. Looks like that is my next project...fun! CTMH has so many stamp sets that this would look great with.
I've used this technique with the Be Yourself stamp set, the flirty dresses are fun to play with. It is a "tricky" technique and hope to use it more often.
I just got the All Decked Out stamp and I love all the little pieces! I just made Christmas cards this year using this set. I'm just getting into the paper piecing aspect, but I'm looking forward to learning more about this technique!
I think a really interesting one would be ravishing roses C1348. I can just imagine a bouquet of roses in different sizes and colors.
I'm going to do paper piecing with this very stamp you've demoed here! I've done paper piecing before and always love the results!
I've paper pieced before with CTMH stamps and they always turn out great! I can't wait to get this kit and try it with these stamps too!
This is neat. I will have to try it.
Favorite paper piecing set...well, I actually don't do much paper piecing but I've tried it a few times with Celebration Blocks and Adorable.
The paper piecing is always so pretty, but also time consuming, or it seems like that to me.
I love paper piecing....and of course, having micro-tip scissors is the key to making it easy! I just did some fun paper piecing with the January Stamp of the Month: True Friends. Stamp the same frame twice, then cut out the center to leave a frame in a different color - so cool! You can see the photo on my blog: http://www.hookedonstamping.com
Another set that I like doing paper piecing with is Life's Creations.
Love paper piecing. It is so nice - a little extra touch.
I like both the Adult set and the Children set of Family Ties. I have made many outfits, and my daughter plays with them like paper dolls.
I can't wait to try this one out! Scrap room here I come!
I just tried this technique on a card using the current Stamp of the Month set, True Friends. It looks so nice to have the background image in a different color.
I love paper piecing on cards especially! It is so much fun! And not that tricky either!
With CTMH everything is FASTER,SIMPLER,EASIER!
I need to start paper piecing!
Playful Flourishes - it's great to stamp, then use the piercing tool to create holes for stitching the pattern.
I don't have that stamp yet but I am going to try it with a circle stamp set. Looks fantastic, can't wait to try to the felicity paper!
It is fun to paper piece any stamp set that has different areas, "layers," or sections. I just recently had fun with the new A Paisley stamp set: I paper pieced the little flower of the large paisley in Baby Pink onto the large paisley stamped in Chocolate on Heavenly Blue B&T.
I got the Alfresco stamp because I can see having three or four layers of the big round stamp.
I have used All Decked Out & Aspiration for paper piecing. I will definitely be using the Felicity set as well. I love all the techniques we learn with CTMH!!!
wow what a great blog and great techniques. thanks for allowing us to have a chance to win a great paper pack
Love All Decked Out for paper piecing. Have also done a lot with Cottage Floral. Will also try some with many other flower sets.
I haven't tried this technique before, but I'll start this technique with my Felicity kit and Enjoy the Journey stamp set!
I just used the set Beloved Blossoms to create a center shade and it turned out beautiful. Can't wait to try with Charmed.
I think I can try this technique with all the new Size A stamp sets: A Posy, A Paisley, A Love and A Tweet.
Love this technique and love this blog.
Love this idea!! I will have to try it.
very pretty
I like to paper piece with all the "Ms." stamp sets. I lope to give them funky pattern paper clothes!
That is very cool...will be trying that one
What a great idea! I can't say I have done this myself, but think I will try with the flowers in the Delightful stamp set! Too cute!
One of my favorite paper peiceing sets is Cottage Florals. I love using it with bright papers (like Boom di Ada) to really make the flowers pop.
I like all of the Ms. stamp sets for paper-piecing. It's fun to give her all sorts of outfits.
Celebrate is one of my faves for paper piecing. Hope I win the set, they look great.
My favorite stamp set to paper piece has been "Neighborhood". I went to my first regional convention on my birthday Oct 2nd and we did this there. I came home and made a few more layouts and some great cards using paper piecing and this stamp set.
I thinkjust about any stamp could be pieced in some way. That's what makes stamping so great. Infinite possibilities.
I love to paper piece with my "Gratitude" stamp set. Any of the flower ones are great to play with.
I actually spent a lot of time with 'Bunny Love' making some special Easter cards last year and looking forward to doing that again this year! They took some time but turned out great :-) Love playing with so many stamps :-)
Since it's winter, my current favorite stamp set to paper piece with is All Decked Out. Gotta love how many ways you can use that snowman!
I love paper piercing Fun Times! It's perfect for making the critters' bodies 3-D with the help of some foam tape. I also add a bitty brad for the eyes. Too cute!
The animal ones with the animal cookies paper. The Lion is too cute
Paper piecing with this stamp set works out great. Very nice.
I love that I paper piece all the time but this looks super easy! It is so cold here, can I say I am ready for SPRING:) Thank you again for the chance for Felicity!
Danielle
I love paper piecing too. You get such dramatic effects from this technique. I love doing this with flowers with Friendship Blessings D1191. But also with Whoo Loves You C1323 and Bird Basics D1338 .
I have always found this to be an easy way to make any layout or card have texture...just add a pop dot and you get even more creative!!
My fav stamp set to peice with is "Cupcake Sprinkles" LOVE that set! Bird Basics is another I love to paper peice with so much FUN!
I paper pieced an owl (I think the set is retired now) that was one of my all-time favorites - in fact, the friend to whom I gave the card said that she was going to frame it! It is a technique I should remember to use more often.
My favorite set to paper piece with is Cupcake Sprinkles. You can get really creative with this set and create awesome bottoms and tops with it via paper piecing!
My favorite Close To My Heart stamp set for paper piecing is Embrace Life.
Robot Power
I like piecing with the Playful Petals set.
I love to paper piece with lots of them...but most recently, Ms. Chillin'!
The only paper piecing I've done so far is with the Just for the Holidays set. I'm hoping to try it with Robot Power.
I love this stamp set and that is a cute idea. Super easy also.
Posterboard Alphabet makes great 3-D images. I like to paper piece with any floral set.
I've done a lot of paper piecing with a variety of flower sets. Add a little masking to the mix for an awesome 3D effect!
My most used stamp for paper piecing is All Decked Out... gotta love that snowman and all his accessories!
I fell in love with the stamp set Robot Power when I saw it in the Autumn/Winter 2009 Idea Book on page 66. I have used this stamp set to paper piece on quite a few cards and also did a layout using this stamp set and this technique. Love the end result.
I have done some paper piecing, I like it and I think this paper ans stamp kits would be an awesome challenge
Haven't tried Paper Piercing, but would love the chance to give it a try :)!
Inky Hugs,
Catherine
catlevy@eastlink.ca
I used paper piecing with my Lifes a Jungle stamp set. To give the animals a 3-D look I use the adhesive dots. They look great on cards and even better in frames! I am now inspired to use this technique more often!
New to CTMH but can't wait to try the paper piecing with the Felicity stamp when I get it this week!
Endlesss Friendship is one of my favorites.
Just don't make me cut a circle!
I enjoy paper piecing way more than coloring! One of my favorite sets is Ms. Sweetheart, and All Decked out is another that's fun to piece.
I use paper piercing with lots of stamps! I think it is a great way to add that special something to your project!!
I'm a new stamper and can't wait to try this technique but I may have to purchase a set to do it with! I love an excuse to expand my collection.
I enjoy doing paper piecing with any of my CTMH stamp sets, it is really hard to pick just one, but I will say Aspirations and C1352 you are beautiful.
I have done this technique and just love the look. I am really excited to use the Felicity Collection.
This is a fun technique and it looks so "Wowwie" but it is easier than it looks. I love to use this technique with holiday projects and LOVE doing it with Santa's Workshop or the Holly Jolly Season set -- awlays with great results. I have used it pretty often too with the School Days set. With CTMH stamp sets, it is too HARD to pick just one! And congratulations Andrea!! Debbie
I have to say I have not looked at my acrylic stamps as a way for paper piecing. My eyes have now been opened and I know I will now be looking at my stamps in entire new way. Thank you so much!
Got to get some ink!
I love paper piecing stamped images..although I didn't know that this was the proper term for it! lol :) I've always just called it layering. Anyway, I think the flower from the stamp set, 'Extreme Happiness' would be a fun stamp to do paper piecing with. Thanks for the chance to play along in the fun! :)
I just did that with a bug stamp for my little girls 1st birthday invites last night. I love the way it looks!!
I like this
I like using this technique with the "Butterfly Wings" stamp set.
I always forget to do this. Thanks for the reminder!
my favorite to paper piece with are whoo loves you, be yourself and posterboard alpha!!
My New Year's resolution - take more time for me and my scrapbooking !!! It most defintitely is made faster - simpler - easier with CTMH and will all the AWESOME new stuff - how can I not??? Paper piecing look out - here I come........
I cant wait to paper piece with the Star Power set....all of my GH photos and my nephew with his guitar....AWESOME !!
I haven't tried "paper piecing" with a stamp set yet. I have done some layering but not exactly like the example... One I did a kind of similar effect with is Life's a Jungle. I made the animals heads "pop" with 3D dots!
Paper piecing using stamped images is so economical-no cartridges required!
Endless Friendship is a great one for paperpiecing and is relatively easy to cut out which makes it even that much more fun!
Great idea thanks for the instructions
My favorite stamp set to paper piece with are the Ms. stamps sets such as the Ms. Holidy Cheer.
I like the alfresco stamp set for this technique.
OOOh, cool technique, I think that Gear Up is a great set to paper piece! thanks
Debra Singletary
Great idea. Should be fun to try
"All Decked Out" and "Life's a Jungle" are two of my favorite stamp sets to paperpiece.... I love paperpiecing with stamps... I think it gives old stamps new life and new stamps more options... Carrie
Paper piercing is easy with CTMH's micro tip scissors too!
Great technique! Can't wait to try it!
Thank you for the great ideas!
My recent favorite stamp to paper piece is November SOTM Around the Block, but now I can't wait to try Felicity's stamp. Hope I win!
I love this look!
Friendship Blessings! I think the paper piece technique would be excellent with these flowers! Awesome!
I like using Give Thanks. You can use different colors for the fruit in the cornicopia. I need to find more sets to do this with, it's fun!
My fav. stamp to paper piece is "Be Yourself" the SOTM of May 2009. I love how I can stamp the girls in black then take and make there dress a different color. Paper piece is a good way to change up the stamp without changing the stamp out. LOVE IT!!!
I love how you play with this flower! So fun and beautiful! All my paper piecing was done with the "Campin' Fever" stamp set, but after this one I will look for more opportunities:)
I love all stamps for ANYTHING!!!! Stamping is my absolute favorite!
For my 'new' favorite stamp sets (I have yet to get my hands on them though!) I choose Star Power on p. 23 of the Spring 2010 Idea Book and Charmed on p.15 of the Spring Idea Book. I think that both of them would be awesome to try paper piecing with!
I'd have to say my favorite stamp set for paper piecing is bird basics it's perfect for this technique :)
I am looking forward to paper piecing with my new "Love You Forever" stamp set (C1398). I think this set will work perfectly with this technique and I can't wait to try it out!!
I think this is so pretty...I tend to cut layers when I am doing letters for my titles and such....there are lots of different ways to use this technique
Not tried it before; however, I think it would be cool to try with the flowers in the "Enjoy Every Moment" set.
I have never tried it, but I think I will
I haven't done much of this, but I love the result in your example! I have some snowmen stamps from CTMH~wonder if I could try it with that set!
I love to paper piece with my CTMH stamps-I love to stamp with simple leave stamps and turn them into beautiful one of kind flowers. And stamping the stamp on pattern paper then cutting it out gives great interest to your images.
Peggy Lee
http://pegbaker.blogspot.com
I am going to have to get a set to try this with as most of my stamps currently are alphas and sentiments... Hmmmm maybe I need 2 sets so I can compare ;)
I have just made the Felicity Layouts on the Guide that has that paper piecing technique. I could not see very well how you were making that flower. I did it my own way, it turned out ok, but I am so glad you have demonstrated the technique here so my customers can be clued in as to how you got that flower combination on the lay out. One thing fun I did with those flowers was to make French knots in the centers. French Knots were a big trend in the "80's
Thanks Much!
I love paperpiecing! I have done it for a while, but just learned with stamps at Regionals. I have used Neighborhood on a few cards and Ms. Holiday was my favorite for Christmas cards!! Thanks for such great ideas CTMH!!
Woops, you need a favorite Stamp answer. It would be Cottage floral.
I have never tried this technique but I am really excited to try it out. I love the stamp that used from the Felcity collection. I think any of the stamps you have would be great to use. Brenda Y
Love this idea!!
So cute with Whooo Loves You...just love that owl!
I can't say that I've used this technique much, but since I was the first winner of this kit I will be giving it a try using this same stamp once it arrives.
I can't wait to try!
I love the From Me To You! It is great for paper piecing!
Denise Wells
mamascollections@aol.com
Love paper piecing and love CTMH
I love paper piecing. It is so easy. A great trick is to sprinkle clear embossing powder on your freshly stamped piece and use your craft heater to give it even more pizazz!
i love the paper piecing. this is right for valaentines.
pamela morales
ninipam12@swbell.net
My favorite stamp set is a new one that I used for my Christmas cards for 09. -Heartfelt Christmas- My favorite thing on the stamp set is the dear. This stamp set can do it all! I decorated the envelops as well, with ease! This is a must have stamp set!
Post a Comment