Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January 26: Expanding Possibilities (a.k.a. Mixing Paper Packs)

Let’s pretend Close To My Heart is giving away a paper and stamp kit every day this month (we are). And let’s pretend you are the lucky winner (you could be!). How will your brand new Felicity Collection fit in with the rest of your stash? Watch this video clip from Art & Soul®, our online CTMH TV show. Then tell us about a time you mixed and matched paper kits. What did you combine, and was it a success? We’ll pick one comment as the winner of the entire Felicity Collection.

To watch full webisodes of Art & Soul, click here.

107 comments:

Lynaya said...

I can't remember a specific page or pages that I have mixed paper packets with, but I am always able to go to different kits to find just the right color. My favorite part about Close To My Heart is that all of the colors are a perfect match. It makes scrapbooking faster and my projects usually turn out so cute.

Anonymous said...

I like to separate out my scraps from my full sheets of paper, so whenever I'm doing a project and I'd like to use my leftovers, I mix and match everything. I try to either match by color or design, which makes using different paper packs easy.

Anonymous said...

With Close to My Heart paper, mixing packs is easy because the colors match so easily, plus there is always an assortment of colors in every pack that will be in other packs as well. Just another reason why I love Close to My Heart, I like my colors to match!!

Gina Stockfisch

Terrie Mathison said...

Since I've been a CTMH customer for over 3 years I truly can't remember what I first combined. I do recall my first purchase include 6 paper packets!! I love the packets, the way they coordinate and most of my scrapbooks are done in CTMH products!

Julie said...

I used Boom Di Ada paper for a Christmas card! The green paper made an awesome wreath!

Anonymous said...

I am finding that I can easily mix any brown paper products with some of the older kits and get a new trendy result

Myra Grodzuik said...

I find I mix an assortment of paper packs like Notebook with Silhouette. Mixing and matching is a fun challenge I find!

CarrieB said...

I am terrible at that!! That's why I don't quilt and why I LOVE the CTMH paper packs - all the work is done for me!! But this video did make me think about it...maybe I'll get brave and try it sometime!

Jenn said...

I can't recall if I've ever mixed paper packs lol!

Unknown said...

I just did this the other day! I mixed Veranda with Unforgettable, I love the two B&Ts in Juniper, which is now one of my favorite colors!!

Anonymous said...

That is the idea behind Scrapbooking....using scraps....I don't throw anything away...once I do the main pages from the packets the scraps get added to my collection to use for my own creative pages.....Some turn out great others well...I just keep adding to them until I am satisfied and they end up being great...at least to my eye..and that is what matters

Jessica said...

I haven't mixed paper packets before, but gosh, I really should give that a try!!

Anonymous said...

This Christmas I mixed Bella with Aspen. The purple in the Bella paper pack went so well with the ASpen papers and I love using different colors and mixing it up! This made for some really original layouts and Christmas cards.
TLB-Westbank BC

Anonymous said...

I often use paper scraps for my layouts and I've probably combined paper packs when I use any leftover parts without really thinking about it.

QSOgirl said...

I constantly combine papers from different lines. I rarely buy a whole set from a manufacturer, so it's pretty easy for me-- I *have* to mix it up :) I like that my pages come out looking even more original because I have used a combination of papers that is my own choice!

Joy said...

I can't remember the names of the papers, either, but last March I went to Charleston to meet friends...and I used several different CTMH paper packs in scrapbooking my Charleston pictures...the pretty pastels and flowers coordinated well. I went back through some class layouts and used them along with some Level one kit pages, and was delighted with the outcome.

Rachel said...

I am a "follow the rules" kind of gal. So mixing and matching paper packs is a little intimidating to me. I do keep my paper packs in their envelopes and refer often to the listed colours. Mostly it is because I am looking for a specific colour of cardstock. But after watching this little video, I think now I will have the courage to "break out of the box" and mix some of my B&T paper! Geronimo!

Anonymous said...

I just get caught up in the moment....CTMH has such beautiful paper that I keep all the scraps, I can't bear to throw any away....one time I used the scraps cutting the pieces into triangles...I put my a picture of me doing scrapbooking down on black card stock then took all the triangles and made a starburst around my photo....I loved it so much, even though it was of me....that I have done this several times since....there is no wrong or right

Paula Stevenson

smahrty said...

I mix papers all the time! I do like lines and kits that match, but also like to add in extras for my own little touch.

Patty Williams said...

I have a very hard time mixing patterns ! eeek.. I struggle with it every single time. I usually use a the front/back side of double sided cardstock if possible !

Nicole said...

I know that I have mixed paper packs once or twice, but alas, I am an inside the box kinda gal. Most times I just use one packet because it goes together so well!

LMLawrence said...

I love to mix paper from differnet paper packs! I've mixed and matched papers from the red checkered and striped of Perfect Day with Jingle, garden green and sunflower solids from Enchanted with Jingle, Solid light pink from Tickled Pink and Jingle's light polka dotted paper. Perfect Day's pale flourish paper with Tickled Pink's light pink solid..... Just grab your paper packs and match up left over paper from workshops to make something unexpected!

Lori L said...

I've never mixed my paper packets, but now I'm going to.

Anonymous said...

Have never mixed paper packets since most of my pages have been made in workshops so far. When I get more into creating my future pages I will have to get more creative with my left over papers.

Unknown said...

That is why I love Close to My Heart paper. They are so versitile. I like to use simple base pages and then embellish with complimenting B & T papers.

Jody said...

Mixing and matching paper paks is a great way to get a whole new look. I have made several layouts and even last year's christmas cards were mixed and matched. I had alot of chocolate left over from one of them so I purchased a package of bulk blush and that's what I made my christmas cards out of. They were beautiful!

Shirley said...

I find that Silhouette can go with just about anything! I like to use it with the Perfect Day solids!

kari said...

I love to mix and match paper packs.That way you get a page that is all you and it does not match anyone else.

Maya Holmes said...

Fairly new to CTMH so I don't have many paper packs to mix and match, but I do like to mix colors that would not normally blend and make a beautiful layout :)

Christina said...

I always mix my stuff together. Everything....sometimes it just goes better with other stuff! LOL

Pam Spears said...

That is what so great about CTMH items everything matchs perfectly. I love CTMH!

Michele said...

I am always too scared to mix and match papers. I will have to get brave and give it a try sometime.

Laura C said...

I already have some of my twitterpated brown patterned paper pulled out to mix with Felicity. I think they will blend very well together

Julie MO said...

I just recently began scrapbooking with friends, and am learning so much from them and my amazing consultant, Pam T. When I saw the Felicity pack, I thought about my wonderful husband and what an amzing job he is doing taking care of our son during the days AND working from home at the same time. My plan is to make him his very own scrapbook using photos of he and James for Father's day using Felicity and othe CTMH goodies. So glad I found this wonderful outlet for creativity! Thanks so much! Julie

Anonymous said...

I love how everything just goes sooo well together. You all are so creative! Jessica from Iowa

Nina N said...

I mix paper packs whenever I can! I don't work according to lines, I work with what I like.

Tammy C. said...

I mixed "Tickled Pink" with "Floral Tapestry" They have the same colors and the floral paper of the Tickled Pink matched the striped paper from the Floral Tapestry perfectly! I ALWAYS keep the packaging cards that come with the paper kits. They are very helpful when looking for certain colors! CTMH makes it so easy!

Unknown said...

I find it hard to mix paper packets. I usually mix paper packets with the CTMH cardstock that matches it.

Nalazoo said...

I love mixing & matching CTMH papers and also following along on Jeanette's Color Me Monday combinations brings a whole new way of looking at paper packs. I love mixing the Sorbet and Juniper monochromatic sides of Perfect Day with the new Veranda papers. Another fun combination is Emporium and Aspen. So much FUN!

Melissa Laverty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

On the front of the paper packet kits, it tells you the featured colors, so I use this as a guide. Sometimes I use this guide to make my own paper using the featured colors and a background stamplike intrinsic, noted, or spot on background stamps. This way there isn't anything to figure out.

Cindy Vernon said...

i have a hard time mixing patterns so I would love to see more examples of that!

Melissa Laverty said...

Recently, I combined the plaid chocolate B&T from Twitterpated with Jingle - the Tulip CS and the Juniper Snowflake B&T. The Chocolate gives a nice neutral touch.
fancymelissa.blogspot.com

Kellen's Mom said...

I am always mixing paper packs, it almost seems like a challenge to me to see what I can do differently with each pack to come up with something original!

Stephanie Lynn said...

I love how it is so easy to coordinate Close to My Heart paper! I love mixing and matching paper packets that have once color in common so they flow nicely. I also love making my own paper especially after watching a tutorial on making your own patterned paper on the Close to My Heart website. I get to be creative and I know they'll work with my other Close to My Heart paper packets!

Geri Conley said...

Just this past weekend I helped my Mom make a birthday card for her uncle. She found a card in the Originals book that she liked. The colors were black and red. I had to use the black stripe from Silhouette and add pieces of red stripe from a paper packet of long ago. (My old papers are sorted by color.) The mix and match looked like a new pattern.

Gretel said...

I recently mixed the Desert Sand dotted paper from the Bella packet with the Unforgettable papers. I had a lot of the Bella one because it was a bulk item and it went so well with the colors in Unforgettable.

Sheila H said...

I mixed Floral Tapestry with Tickled Pink - it was beautiful!

Teresa said...

I guess I've never thought about mixing the different paper packs. I do add different card stock to my projects. A good example of that is with Silhouette. You can use any of CTMH's colors to make great accent pieces that give the project a "wow" factor.

Unknown said...

You can mix and match about any color together. It doesn't really matter if the colors do go together or not. I find that they always turn out good depending on how you put them to use.

Shauna said...

I usually stick with the same line when putting paper together but I am trying to think outside the box!

Shena Adams said...

I haven't mix any paper packets yet. Guess what I am going to do today. Lets see what I can mix up. This is a good idea.

Maggi said...

I mix and match everything! For the most part I dont' keep my papers organized by their line but by their color. It makes for some interesting results that I think look great!

Trishkj said...

For mixing up paper packs, my favorite stand by is Silhouette. This paper is so versatile because it's neutral that it mixes well with most anything else! It's the one I usually grab first when I'm ready to mix it up!

Helen Van Daalen said...

I have mixed paper packs for a Christmas layout. It worked out really well and is really easy because the insert that comes with the paper says exactly what colours are in the pack.

Unknown said...

I mixed Rough and Tumble and Blue Ribbon for a beach and Forth of July page just last week

Anonymous said...

I have been a collector of CTMH for a couple of years. Although I have been to sick to do much crafting I have enjoyed collecting and helping my consultant reach her goals. This year I have somewhat improved and have so enjoyed using my collection. I have even volunteered to make all of the relief society birthday cards. Need to expand my collection now. Debbie G

Laura said...

I mix paper together all the time. It is harder with some of the older paper packs because they don't say what kind of paper compliments the package. Some timesit turns out well, sometimes not so much.

Jamie Jay said...

Yes, I do this often as well just to get even more combinations....or I might have only one piece of paper left in a pack and find another kit to use it with. I don't like to waste anything :)

Nicole Steele said...

Oh, I mix papers all the time. Rarely do I stick to one packet or line when making a layout.

Anonymous said...

That's Amore is one of my favorites - no wonder it is called that - I love it! Anyway, I think some of the Bella papers might go with them though the colors are not the same but I think they may complement them. I need to purchase that pack though first. Otherwise, I have used the pack with the black and bamboo papers with some others which I can not think of their names. I do like that in the catalog you show which colors they are so you can match them up. I am experimenting with the smokey plum with the greens such as olive etc. I love to use my scraps with other patterns too and have come up with some fun combinations. Your examples, though, are the best for showing us how to combine them! Thanks for the inspiration.

Chris R. from Iowa

Jodi P said...

at first I thought I don't do that, but really I do almost all the time. It seems like I don't use just the paper pack very often at all. LOL

Brendakaye said...

This is why I love Close to My Heart it is so versatile I've mixed lots of paper packets, I always look to the front or in the catalog it gives the colors in each pack Way to go Close to My heart

Cheryl said...

Honestly, I have not yet mixed kits.
It's a great idea though! I have several layouts from monthly club I attended that were one page. I didn't have the same paper to complete the 2nd layout... now I'm going to go through my paper stash and see what I can mix & match!
Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Becky said...

I have not mixed kits much but noticed that Felicity looks like it would work well with Twitterpatted and maybe the new paper Kaboddle. Thanks for the suggestions.

Janette said...

I have only mixed once... I mixed Aspen and the back to a paper from the "Key to my Heart" paper pack. I needed a paper that was solid Creme Brulee, and mixing the kit saved me! Truth is, that the paper packs are so cute together that normally I don't even look to mix. I should do it more often!

Suzy Scrapbooker ;) said...

One of my favorite papers to mix with is the brown dotted B&T from Bella. I use 2 different hole punches to pop out some of the holes. Then I'll adhere it to the top of another B&T like the Back country barn red or the Moon doggie Green leaf papers. Going back to another 'topic of the day' These combos look very 'manly'.

Unknown said...

I have not mixed and matched although I will be willing to try it after seing the video. I love that all the papers match. I do the WOTG.

Laney's Legacy's said...

I am just now getting into CTMH and haven't had the chance to mix paper but thank you for the video with really great ideas. I am excited to try it now.

Barbra Otten said...

I love mixing Twitterpated with Caboodle, too cute!

Janet's Joy said...

I don't own any CTMH products but I am always mixing manufacturers lines at home.

sandyh50 said...

Yes I have done this very thing. If I lose the paper insert in the paper packet I look in my CTMH idea book and the colors are listed at the top of the page. I believe I mixed Animal Cookies and Tinkerin'.

Debbie said...

The coordinating paper packs and accessories are why I love CTMH! It is easy to combine paper packs and come up with another winning layout. I try to never throw away any scraps they can always be used with something! Thank you for the opportunity to win this fantastic kit!

Stephanie said...

Omygosh!
I have been a consultant for 5 years and I love to combine paper packs all the time! For example, I used Emporium and Moon Doggie together in my Mexico vacation album, with great results!
This year I plan on using not 2 but THREE paper kits in one album!!!
I will be using You Rock the tropical jungle of Expedition and Nautical papers from Majestic Blue on my next Vacation Album! NO KIDDING! the bright yellows in You Rock are perfect for warm mexcican Sunshine ! Outdoor Denim will be my grounding cardstock colour with these 3 packs.
I usually pick a common colour or two for the carstocks when I blend kits. Its easy with CTMH!
Thanks for the opportunity to win Felicity! If I win it , it will go in the Mexican album as the FOURTH KIT!!!!

JessicaF said...

Alot of times I'll mix different papers by colors for each of my kids. For my daughter I use alot of the pink and purple shades, and for my son I use alot of the carnival shades. I love how everything within CTMH co-ordinates with each other. I'm a new scrapbooker and CMTH makes it so easy for someone like me. Scrapbooking can be very overwhelming when you first begin.

Sheila Bennett said...

Have used Emporium and Magic Moments together.

laura o said...

i often mix and match kits. by doing this it makes it my own!

Anonymous said...

I use different papers together mostly by taking the scraps of all the ones that match and making cards out of them. I know they match because the packs tell me which ones have which colors :) I love that! I also love not wasting my teeny scraps!

AZconservativeMOM said...

I love how she brought up Silhouette, with the neutral colors in the B & T, the same neutral is in GRACE. I love the piece of B & T in Grace that is all words. It looks awesome paired with any solid color! Also, I've mixed my favorite CTMH My Stickease with some textured cardstock from another manufacturer. It's fun to mix it up!

Haley D., the Inky Scrapper said...

So many kits have pieces that will mix and match! Parts of Bella with Veranda; Perfect Day with Twitterpated; Jingle with Perfect Day; Silhouette with almost everything... I love CTMH's versatility!

Amy Ulen said...

How about the notebook paper from Notebook with EVERYTHING!

L. said...

Well, first of all, CTMH is great because you don't HAVE to mix and match. Everything is right there in the paper pack! Having said that, I like that CTMH lists the colors used in each paper pack right on the front of the package, making "paper mixing" so easy! The other day I used an old abundance pack and mixed it quite nicely with an autumn B&T combo pack. Love, love, loved it!

Lagene said...

I mix & match different paper companies all the time.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never thought of mixing paper packs, and I've been a CTMH fan for almost 8 years. Looking forward to the next great idea on paper mixing and matching.

Ranette said...

Usually I don't stray from the paper packs except for cardstock but this makes me want to try. I have used the backs a couple of times but don't remember the paper packs. Guess I need to be more daring.

triciagall said...

I've mixed Tinkerin' with Aspen.

Anonymous said...

My husband thinks I can't throw anything away when it comes to paper, but you know I might just be able to use it on a page. That's my excuse and that's that! Anything goes when it comes to scrapping! It's really surprising when you just let the paper fall out of the bag and just start moving pieces around! Gee, I'm having the time of my life playing with paper. Who could guess something like paper could make my happy? SandySec57@aol.com

Debbie Taylor said...

Using Close to My Heart papers and intermixing them is easy because our wonderful, exclusive color palette -- everything matches or compliments each other so well.

One of my favorite "mixed" projects, was very successful --the "tone" of the papers highlighted my project perfectly. I had wanted to make a 12 x 12 themed album.
The papers I mainly used were Giddy Up, Giggles and Grins, Rough and Tumble, Denim Days, Serendipity, School Zone and Independance.

Can you guess the album theme? It was Western...and the papers blended so well, the album is one of my favorites!

Cheryl P said...

I am not a follow the rules type of person so mixing papers is a natural for me-- in my step-son's album I have been mixing "Rowdy" "Building Blocks" and "Rough n' Tumble", they have worked well together. In my step-daughter's album I did "Sweet Pea" and "Sugar and Spice" inb different combinations. I always save small scraps to use later so that always gives me more opportunities to mix other papers. Just look at the cardstock colors and see what else works with them!

LARAINE said...

I haven't mixed and matched paper kits...yet. My brand new Felicity Collection will fit in perfectly with the rest of my stash. Can't wait to see what I can mix and match with it.

waiseone said...

I love to mix paper packs. When I am running low on a paper pack I go to my stash and see what I can mix. It's an amazing difference. It becomes a challenge for me.

Sherry Hawa said...

I have mixed Silhouette with several other paper lines -- it's so versatile and my all time favorite go to paper. It' great that we have such wonderful colors to work with.

Heidi said...

I haven't really done a lot of mixing paper packets yet but a fun one I'd like to try is Emporium and Twitterpated. Both are great papers and they have matching colors. I am a little intimidated but I plan to try! Love CTMH paper! Go Felicity!

Corrie said...

I have mixed and matched with scraps and solid cardstock/color. Sometimes I am wanting a certain color to dominate but the patterned paper from another line matches better

Tara said...

I mostly use the papers that come in each paper pack together. Although I have mixed them a couple of times I don't recall which ones I mixed. I know I just looked for colors that went together or had the same colors as the other paper pack I was using.

Rosalynd Kelly said...

I have mixed paper packs several times....as long as they are in the same colour "family", it usually works out quite well. Especially great when you've run out of a paper from one pack, then I go looking in another with similar colours.

Doramiyi said...

I so much paper. What works for me is first I need to keep my scraps organized by color families and same goes for my full sheets. By do so it helps me to pull together pages with different patterns and themes. It's not failed me yet.

doramiyi

Lora said...

I like to mix papers as long as they compliment each other and the same or similar color family.

Lauren said...

I usually don't mix B&T paper from different paper packs, but I do mix the cardstock all the time. Actually, I do remember one time I used the polka dot paper from the "It's a Guy Thing" pack with the striped paper from the "Free Spirit" pack, so I guess I have mixed them up. But that's the beauty of these paper packs, is that you don't HAVE to mix them up, because everything coordinates so beautifully! :-)

Michelle Bryden said...

When working on some thank-you cards for my sons to give after Christmas, I combined some of the Tinkerin' papers with Stardust papers. With CTMH papers, the pallettes truly make it easy to mix and match beautifully! Felicity will be so easy to coordinate with all my other fantastic papers! Thanks, CTMH! Michelle Louise

Anonymous said...

First of all I am so bummed, I hadn't missed a day posting all month and wasn't able to get access to the internet in my hotel until today :( Oh well, I haven't yet worked with the paper kits but after watching the video the way CTMH lines everything out looks very awesome to work with. I mix and match paper all the time depending on theme and project. I try to use up scraps as much as possible and usually have something that will match what I'm trying to do. So far everything has turned out good. At least I think so anyway :)

Stampin n da Hood said...

I love mixin n matchin!
Recently, I've matched our Felicity papers with our retired (sniff) Jungle papers for my daughter's internship in Australia...love the warm, rich colors for the sanctuary and animals!

JeffMom said...

Mixing papers can open a huge verizon of projects possibilities. I didn't try with the Felicity papers yet but I think it would go wonderful with neutral like BLACK or WHITE(colonial white) to enphatize the warm colors.
Thanks!

Julie Wasson said...

I mixed felicity, Emporium, and Sweet Home for a colorful combination.

Unknown said...

I don't usually feel the need to mix paper packets but I think I'll try it now! The CTMH color palette makes it really easy to know which papers are likely to match well. Several of my favorite papers lately all use the same colors: juniper, sorbet, Creme brulee and I'm sure they'll mix together well!

Cheri Hill said...

I love to mix Silhouette with Tulip cardstock. The colors look great together.

Patti B. said...

I have not mixed any paper packets myself yet, but I have seen how great it looks, and with CTMH's cool palette of colors, it seems like it should be very easy! I'll be trying it soon!

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2009–2010 Celebrate National Papercrafting Month with Felicity!
All rights reserved worldwide. Downloading or copying this Web page or images therein is a violation of copyright.