Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 12: It’s Sew Easy: Stitching on Paper

There’s something about stitching that makes a papercrafting project special. Maybe it’s the texture. Maybe it’s the look. Maybe it’s the dimension. Whatever it is, a few stitches can take a card or layout from “cute” to “adorable!”

Check out the various kinds of stitching on this Washington, DC, My Reflections® Memory Keeper box. We hand-stitched around the perimeter of the circle. We used a needle and thread to fasten on the buttons. And the stitching on the ribbon was a cinch—the ribbon just came like that!




We asked our experts for their secrets. Here are their hints:

• When hand-stitching, start by punching a row of tiny holes with a paper piercer. It’s much easier to get evenly spaced stitches that way, and you can even use a ruler to make sure the line is straight or use the My Acrylix® Simple Stitches stamp set (C1234 $18.95 US/ $22.50 CAN) stamped in a tone-on-tone color of ink as a stitching guide. Once you’ve punched the holes, just go back through them with a needle and thread.

• If you use a sewing machine for your stitching, you just use a regular needle and regular stitches. The secret lies in this: Avoid sewing through adhesive. If you adhere paper together, just make sure to do it in a spot that won’t be stitched.

• If you do get adhesive on your needle, gently clean it with a solvent such as Goo Gone.

Do you want to know the other secret? You can get the look of stitching by using a stamp such as the new My Acrylix® Togetherness set (D1402 $22.95 US/$26.95 CAN).

And if you really want to make it look like real stitching, use your paper piercer to make holes between the stamped stitches. Everyone will think you did it with needle and thread!

Have you stitched on a papercrafting project? Tell us about it. Your comment will enter you to win a free Felicity Collection, full of yummy paper and delectable stamps. Check back tomorrow to see if you’ve won, and to read more about National Papercrafting Month.

234 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   1 – 200 of 234   Newer›   Newest»
CarrieB said...

I do use stiching - in spurts - on my layouts and cards. I rarely hand-stitch - I use my sewing machine. I do have the CTMH set "simple stitches" which works wonderfully too. Thanks for the chance to win!

Alexis Crossland-Smith said...

I use a lot of faux stitching....i have tried once with my sewing machine.

I love the look of it!!

Manhattan Mandie said...

I have done a little hand stitching on my layouts but I just got a sewing machine for Christmas so now I can stitch on my layouts more! I have also used "Simple Stitches" to "sew" my projects.

Rosalynd Kelly said...

I have machine stitched several of my layouts - I love the added texture. I have used "Simple Stitches" when I don't have time to drag the machine out, or I'm away from home.

Maya Holmes said...

I haven't had a chance to try this trick jusst yet, but the neat ideas i';m reading make me want to!

Julie said...

I have never stitched on a project, unless it was stamped on.

Crystal Pledger said...

I have done some hand stitching with wazy flax. I used a ruler and paper piercer and then threaded the flax through with needle. Pretty easy and cute effect.

Trishkj said...

I love stitching on my projects!

JoanneR said...

I have never stitched on my projects - just faux stitching with a paper piercer and then a marker for stitches.

Kevin Renz said...

I just use my plain 'ole sewing machine. Love the look of stitching.

Nicole *Ü* said...

I have stitched, with a sewing machine and hand sewing. I like the look of both but worry about the wear and tear of paper on my sewing machine.

JodiLynn said...

I have both hand stitched and machine stitched on both layouts and cards. I really love the look and texture it gives. ***My favorite so far has been the baseball layout that I have done on my stepson's scrapbook where I hand stitched a baseball with ribbon. It turned out so good! I have also used ribbon to make a corsette look on a page with my daughter dressed up in her princess costume! It's so fun to CREATE! and CTMH really makes it easy!

Keeley Kirwan said...

I use stitching on almost every layout whether it be just stitching the buttons on or adding a little extra touch around a photo or journal piece. I love the look.

Cheri Hill said...

I hand-stitched ribbon to make a baseball on a layout for my son. It turned out really nice. It really added extra dimension.

Mary said...

I have used hand stitching once or twice...one I recall was a baby layout of my youngest. However, it was very time consuming and hard to get the stitches straight! I MUCH prefer stamped stitching!! I am going to try that piercing technique!

Sandy E said...

I never have hand stitched on a project, but I will now that I see how easy it is! Can't wait to try it!

Lauren said...

I absolutely LOVE stitching on my projects... it adds such a cute homemade touch. Another secret... use the smallest needle you can find in your machine, and choose a stitch that isn't too close together so that your paper isn't mangled while you're trying to sew!

Smashing Cake Designs said...

I have never actually stitched before (bought a little machine just haven't done it yet) but I do use the CTMH stamps that look like stiching all the time to get that effect.

Patty Williams said...

I just did my first stitching on cards this past Autumn.. I got hooked and made a few cards done on my sewing machine. Haven't done it since but need to ! I loved the look and it was fairly simple, normally my machine doesn't like me but it seemed to love sewing on paper ! LOL

Patty W

Sheila H said...

I've only done a little hand stitching, and I love the look of it!

Rainie Mills said...

I have never done stitching, but it looks so pretty, I may have to give it a go!

Becky said...

I recently tried stitching for the first time. I did a whip stitch around the edge of a card I was working on. I loved the look. I have been planning on dragging out my good old sewing machine and giving that method a try. Thanks for the great tips. I really like the one about using a ruler to help get that nice straight line. I will definately give that a try. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Paige Dolecki said...

I've done hand stitching on cards and layouts with embroidery floss and sassy strands but for lots of stitches I usually grab my Simple Stitches stamp set. I just purchased the Togetherness stamp - love the row of straight stiches grouped together on that one - which is definitely going to get lots of use from me! I love that I can color match without worrying about what thread colors I have - just grab a stamp pad and go!

Paige

KathyK said...

No real stitching for me - give me stamps for a neat and easy FAUX stitching look any time!!!

Nina N said...

If I had a craft room I would love to try it. Alas, it is far too much work to haul out the scrapbooking stuff and haul out my sewing machine :( Although, I could finish the scrapbooking pages and save them to sew another time.....

Mark and Carrie Miller said...

I have used stitching twice. Once last night with the simple stitches stamp set and once at Portland Regionals. I am becoming a fan. I guess I should unpack my sewing machine so I can do it more.

Marianne said...

I've only used a sewing machine for stitching on cards. I love the look but hate to drag the machine out. I would love to try the handstitching on projects. Thanks for the expert advice!

Tracie said...

I have not tried stitching on my projects I thought it was a little out of my league. But now that I know the trick I might try this very soon

Jackie B. said...

My first stitching was on vellum. It was a cute valentines card. And my card club did it too.

Parchey Family said...

I have never used a sewing machine on paper. However I have hand stitched on cards and layouts. I hope to try using a sewing machine this year as I have received one as a Christmas gift. Angie

Vicki Wizniuk said...

I love the look of stitching on cards and layouts. It adds the perfect touch. Great tip on not sewing through adhesive... my machine is in getting serviced as we speak! lol Lesson learned.

Karen said...

I have done hand stitching and stitching with my sewing machine. I also have CTMH simple stitches. I hope to get the new Togetherness set soon.

Becky Sorensen said...

I have done some with my sewing machine, that's about all the action that thing has gotten in the last few years! LOL

Haley D., the Inky Scrapper said...

I'm more of a faux sticher (using stamps and ink), but I have handstitched a few projects. Maybe now that I've inherited my grandmother's sewing maching I might learn how to use it. LOL

Wendy K. said...

I love the look of stitching on my projects. I stitch with a machine and use my stamps.

Lori Miller said...

I have machine-stitched and hand-stitched on cards.

AZconservativeMOM said...

I watch my friends use their machines on their pages and one does her hand-stitching. It is so pretty! 2010 will be the year for me to try it!

Terrie Mathison said...

I've done some stamped stitching. But I forget about it when doing my layouts. I'll have to remember it is so pretty.

Anne H. said...

I've only done hand stitching with embroidery floss. I purchased a little sewing machine with the intention of trying it out with "the real thing" but it just sat unused, so I got rid of it. I love the look of stitching on pages and cards!

Barbra Otten said...

I have a friend who always brings her sewing machine to our 3 day crops and it's fun to use that to stitch on my layouts. I would love to try it on my cards.

Me Again said...

I haven't done this yet, but thanks for the how-to info!

Sheri M. from MN said...

I've used my sewing machine on a few pages. I loved the look & plan on doing more with my Valentine cards this year.

Unknown said...

I've never really stitched on a project, just punched the holes with a piercer and then dragged a gel pen from hole to hole. It looks like stitching, but I never have to thread the needle!! Easy!!

Lynaya said...

I love stitching on my pages. I have a lot of patterns that I can place on my paper, punch through the holes and stitch real easy. What is it about stitching that makes us feel so happy?!?

Kristin said...

Looks adorable! Maybe I'll try 'stitching' with the stamp set!

Ranette said...

I have only stitched once but love the look of it. I am going to try making this memory box and use the techniques shown. Thanks for the ideas.

Geri Conley said...

One of the first stamp sets I bought was the simple stitches. I like the idea of piercing the stitches.

Lori L said...

I've used some of my machine's embroidery stitches on my layouts for some amazing results.

Anonymous said...

Haven't tried this yet but looks like it might be fun and add texture to the layouts.

Michele said...

I have not stitched on paper. I use the simple stitches stamp set and I just got the togetherness stamp set. I love the look they give.

Unknown said...

I love the look of stitching, but I never use an actual needle and thread. I've been using the stamps to faux-stitch on the seams of my paper, and it looks amazing. A pigment ink works well on top of pictures.

Laura said...

I have stitched a paper craft project, both with a machine and by hand. While I like the effect it can be alot of work.

Laura

Unknown said...

I have always been hesitant about trying this technique. Next time I have my machine out, I'll need to practice.

Barb K

Janis said...

I love the look of hand stitching and I do it a lot. It's a little time consuming, but isn't everything that is special! It's so worth it to me. I will use the stamps and I like that look, if I'm in a hurry. I've even used our markers and drawn them. But, my favorite, is actual, real, hand stitching with needle and floss (and of course the pokey tool to punch those holes first!).

Anonymous said...

I don't have a sewing machine, the thought of sewing on paper scares me, maybe one day I will get brave. But for now I am experimenting with "sewing" floss and hemp through buttons on my layouts. I love the look and agree it does add an extra oomph to the pages!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of stitching, and LOVE our stitching stamps (Simple Stitches!). I am rather sewing challenged, so I don't do it on my papercrafting projects, but DID take the plunge for the Grace WOTG - I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. My customers loved it too!

:-)

Sherry Hawa said...

I have hand stitched on layouts -- love the look. I have not used my machine -- maybe one day. I also love to use my faux stitching stamps!! So easy!

Tammy Wynard said...

I have not stiched. I have the stiched looking stamps that work just fine for me. I barely like to sew on a button, so a needle and thread are not that fun for me!

Hanna Ahn said...

I have stitched on fabric but have yet to try it on paper. Can't wait to try.

Anonymous said...

I love the look of the stitching, but I have not tried it in my scrapbooking. I did take a sewing class back in Jr. High many years ago.

Helen Van Daalen said...

I have hand stitched a border on a card and also used the sewing machine on a scrapbook layout. I liked both looks. The sewing machine was a lot faster and created a more even look

Unknown said...

I have stitched on a few projects, love the look it gives. I love the look of faux stictching as well. It gives it that extra homemade look.

Unknown said...

Haven't tried this technique yet!

Anonymous said...

I have stictched on my projects, by hand and, faux with a stamp set as well as with my machine. My favorite was with my machine. I sticted some vellum on to my page to make pockets. I made them to keep the beautiful cards my daughter got at her bapbtism!

smahrty said...

I have not used any real stitching, but use "faux" hand drawn stitches. Even use rub on and stamp stitches!

Amy Moore said...

I used to be scared of stitching on my projects, but I tried it and love the look! I used to say that my sister is the quilter and I only work with paper, but no more!

Tracey said...

Okay, so I absolutely LOVE the look of stitching on my scrapbook pages but since I can't even sew a button on a shirt (or choose not to) I don't do it by hand. However, I am thrilled to say that I use the wonderful CTMH stamps to stamp my stitches on. The look is as beautiful as the real thing. I can't wait to try the idea of using a paper piercer to put the holes in. It will look even more realistic. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I stitched one time on a card project--it turned out really cute, but it was a borrowed sewing machine.

Anonymous said...

I like to stitch small details and buttons, but mostly I use stamp sets to make itlook like I've stitched. On occasion I will stamp something and stitch over it.

KellyC said...

While I love the look of stitching on my cards and scrapbook pages, I'll admit to having some frustrations because no matter how many different needles I've used and how many times I've adjusted the tension, I always end up with skipped stitches. But thank you for the info on how to do this by hand with waxy flaxy. I'll definitely give it a try!

Tracy said...

I have hand stitched many layouts. I also use the faux stitching that is so easy when you use Simple Stitches...but, I do love the look of actual stitching with thread. I would love to learn how to use my sewing maching so I could sew more projects.

Jody said...

Being an avid sewer, I have tried both hand sewing and machine sewing on my projects. I do like the way it adds so much to a layout or card. I haven't tried the stamped stitching yet but have seen the stamps I want to try out. They are on my ever growing wish list!

Elizabeth said...

I have not stitched on my layouts or cards yet, but have really wanted to try. These tips help me feel a little more at ease to get going on it!

Unknown said...

I did hand sewing on a scrapbook page where my son got actual stitches (see-saw accident). It turned out very cute.

Carolann said...

I did some hand stitching...but would like to try the mcahine!

Anonymous said...

I love the look but have yet to try my hand at it using my sewing machine... I really need to practice! It seems to be showing up more and more in CTMH idea book! Love it!

Danica TG

Cheryl P said...

I haven't tried stitching.......Yet......I love the look and will be trying your suggestions--plus I just found a little craft stitcher to try

Laura O. said...

I have never tried this but it looks great....thanks for the inspiration

Lisa C. said...

The stitching is great, I cannot wait to see crocheting edges become the next big thing! Try a lace edge on a double mount or the side of your next card.
Lisa

glenda said...

I have machine stitched and hand stitched on layouts. I recently purchased the simple stitches stamp set and will be trying it out on the next layout that calls for stitching. Glenda

Laura C said...

I haven't stitched yet on a project. I'm not a fantastic sewer so it really intimidates me. I like the look though

Nicole Steele said...

Oh yes! I've stitched on cards and layouts too many times to count!

Unknown said...

I hate to sew but I LOVE the stamp sets with stitches. I use White Daisy ink on my photos with the stitches sets and get a ton of positve comments on those pages. I have tried the hand sewing on the workshop on the go for Grace I really prefer the faster method with ink. :)

Flair Girl said...

Stistching adds just the right touch and looks beautiful! -Now I just need to learn to use my sewing machine!!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of stitching on scrapbook projects, and luckily it's much easier to sew on paper than on fabric.

Gina Stockfisch

shena84 said...

I haven't sew on anything in a long time. I think I will start up again. I love to sew on the edges of cards for a little perfect look that most people dont even realize that it is there.

Celeste Hull said...

I love using the sewing technique. I am in the process of doing a Stardust layout, and I am doing a zigzag stitch around some of the paper pieces. I did one of the Butterfly albums a few months ago, and used stitching on some of the pages. I love the look and feel of stitching on paper. I am always touching layout to feel the embellishments. It is a good thing we have page protectors to keep the layouts nice and clean. Stitching really adds to a layout.

Anonymous said...

I did some sewing on cards using the Game On Paper. I found new,adorable stitches on my old sewing machine that I didn't think worked so now I have new stitching to try!

Nicole said...

The only stitching I have done on layouts is buttons. Once I did a layout where I stitched x's across the center with waxy flax. I have a sewing machine but I am hesitant to use it on paper. I might try it someday.

lacey said...

Stitching is fun. My favorite look is buttons that are actually stitched on:)

Gretel said...

Yes, I have tried both machine stitching and hand stitching. I prefer to take this kind of time on my scrapbooks rather than cards.

sgoodbrand said...

I love adding stitching to cards!! My mom gave me a little sewing machine especially for papercrafting last year for my birthday and I love using it!!

Korine said...

I haven't stitched on my cards yet. I love the look and I will try it sometime....it's on my list of 'things to do'.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the look of stitching on layouts. I have not yet tried as for some reason, I was thinking I'd have to bring out my sewing machine. This technique is SOOO much simpler than I was making it out to be and I just so happen to have a paper piercing tool f/CTMH that I can use to stitch away!! Thanks for eliminating my "duh" moment for me!! I love CTMH and all of the great new tips I've been learning from this posting!!

Roberta Dermody said...

So glad you are discussing stitches.I am enjoying reading what others have to say how they accomplish it. I have tried both methods. CTMH has some wonderful stamp sets w/faux stitching and I do have to say look very believable.Sewing a straight stitch w/a machine has not given me the great look others have done. I have to practice more adjusting those stitches but find the zig zag is not a problem. Think I will try the paper piercing next. Thanks for all the ideas.

Tara said...

I have stitched a little bit with my sewing machine and at club last month they used the stitching stamp set but I wasn't able to make it to. So I am going to have to figure out how to do it once I get my kit. I love the Felicity set! I hope I win!!!

Jennifer said...

I love this look.... but I'm not brave enough to try it :)

Chelsea Bailey said...

I love stitching! I also agree that it adds so much to your project and really adds a personal touch. The last time I stitched I had lines that were uneven and was trying to figure out how to create a more even stitch. I love the piercing idea! I want to go try it right now! Thanks for the tips.

marlene said...

I have done some hand stitching on a layout using an alphabet template and I have loved using our Simple Stitches stamp set!

Unknown said...

I make holes in my paper and then join the holes together by adding ink with a gel pen. It makes it look stitched.

triciagall said...

Yes, and I love it.

Kerry J said...

I tried it once with my sewing machine and I loved the added dimension it gave the layout! This was a great reminder as to how much I like the look. I think one of my next layouts is going to have a stitching element (real or maybe faux)! Right now I'm addicted to Close To My Heart Rub ons! I so easily get stuck using the same techniques once I find one I love! That's why I like the hostess clubs. It makes me explore techniques I haven't used before, or for a long time!

Lya Lin said...

I love stitches and the look and dimension it give to the projects. I'll sure to put this technique on this year for more and more cards and layouts!
Thks!

L. said...

I LLOOVVEE stitching on scrapbook pages!! It gives such a great look! The only bad thing is that I often don't think of it until I have completed my page!!

aggie said...

I like the look, but haven't ever stitched on my own pages ( except for faux stitiching with stamps or rub-ins :) )

Elaine said...

I haven't done any stitching with my machine. However, I have done some by hand.

Unknown said...

I am fairly new to scrapbooking and I find all the tips and tricks to be SOOOOOOOOOO helpful


THANK YOU

Brittany M. said...

Stitching with my sewing machine has been my most favorite embellishment lately. I love the look :)

cinmfoster said...

I haven't stitched on paper. Thanks for the tips.

Unknown said...

Great tip. I have only used the rub-ons that look like the stitching. I am going to have to look at the Simple Stitches and Togetherness stamp sets. Thanks for the great tips. Monica

Jenn said...

I've only hand-stitched on one layout; I don't have any desire to sew!

Elaine Hollander said...

I did some hand stitching at a scrapbooking weekend once

Cindy Vernon said...

Great info. I've done faux stitching but I think that I might try the needle and thread!

Anonymous said...

what kind of machine does everyone use to stitch!

Unknown said...

I have only done one layout with stitching, it was one of the workshops from the fall (maybe Grace? can't remember). It is a very cool technique, not sure why I don't do it more often

Anonymous said...

I love to stitch on paper! My husband just shakes his head when he sees me doing it! haha. I just love the look of it. I use a lot of stitching to monogram letters on cards and scrapbook pages.

Kristie said...

I have tried sewing on a few things...haven't quite got the hange of it yet. I do like the stamped stitching...that I can handle:)

Anonymous said...

I have not used any stitching on my projects, but will have to give it a try. Thanks for the great tips.
Laurie W. Seguin, TX

Amy Ulen said...

I purchased a sewing machine with my Christmas money! My husband is hoping I'll make curtains, but I bought it for papercrafting!

Jessica said...

I've tired stiching by hand. It's a tough task. I've always wanted to try it with my sewing machine, but just haven't yet.

Kristin A. said...

I have painstakingly hand stitched several layouts and the result is absolutely beautiful, but I wish i had a sewing machine to make it faster and easier!

Michelle G said...

I am also a fan of faux stitching.....or better yet, buying embellishments that come pre-stitched. I love that ribbon you used in this project!

CVOChristi said...

I LOVE my "stitch stamps", but I never thought to actually punch the holes after I stamped when them. Can't wait to try that. Thanks!

Christine David said...

I actually purchased a sewing machine just so I could sew on my projects. I've always loved the look of stitching on my layouts and cards.

qsogirl said...

I have just recently started stitching on my layouts-- silly, since I do *a lot* of normal sewing! I now am both using my sewing machine (with an old needle) and hand-stitching on my pages. I love the way it looks!

one thing you should mention-- if you use a sewing machine needle on paper, you shouldn't use it for fabric again!! paper will dull the needle substantially, and having a sharp, straight needle is crucial to good machine performance.

Dicki said...

I've been hand stitching a little but I just recently bought a small machine for sewing on paper. I can't wait to try.

Jayma Malme said...

I don't have a sewing machine, so I opt for faux stitching with a stamp set over a needle and thread. I also like to use the row of x's in the "across the board" rub-ons, or a white gel pen and paper piercer.

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried stitching on paper yet, I think I will have to try.

Sandra Konrad
angelzmom2@yahoo.com

Anna said...

I have to get the sewing machine out so I don't do it very often. When I do get it out I sew on every lo! This has inspired my to get out my machine this week and go for it! Cards, scrapbooks LOOK OUT!!

Stephanie said...

I haven't sewn on anything yet, but I would love to try it sometime.

Shauna said...

I haven't tried sewing on any papercrafting projects yet, but would like to. I just get too frustrated with my sewing machine!

Unknown said...

I haven't used stitching on my paper projects....yet. I love the look of stitching, so I can't wait to order the Simple Stitches stamp set and use a needle as per your suggestion.

Thistle Creek Photography said...

I have not sewn any paper, but I'd like to try!

Unknown said...

Wow! I love to sew..this will be fun to try! I love the look!

Unknown said...

Love stitching- it is totally worth the work- in fact I just posted a stiching card on my blog yesterday!

Britney Koger, Fyffe, Al said...

Ok, now there is something I might could use my sewing machine for!!! LOL! I'm not good at sewing but applying it to my scrapbooking techniques might just work!!! YAY!

MrsSuzyQ said...

The only sewing i've done was at the Minnesota regional conference where I tried doing it on buttons. (I usually just glue those suckers on) It was surprising easy and fun...I have ordered the sew it up stamps CTMH sells though since that is much faster!! looks great too!!

Anonymous said...

Mostly I use the stamps for lines of stitching, but I will sometimes sew on buttons or make a cross stitch or two. My sewing machine is too busy quilting!

Anonymous said...

I have used stitching on pages an cards but another idea is to use them on decorated recipe cards.

Brendakaye said...

I love stiching on my cards haven't really done much on my scrapbooking, I do use my stamps for that! It is one of my favorite looks

carpediem said...

I haven't done any handstitching but have used my machine on several projects! I get a little lazy and often can't be bothered to take it out of the storage closet and set it up!

monicac said...

I have never used a sewing machine, but I have used the embroidery floss and waxy flax.

Elizabeth H said...

I have never done stiching but it always looks really nice.

Teresa said...

I did my first hand-stitching on a card last week. I wanted a circle, so I grabbed a piece of plastic canvas that was circular. It was easy to pierce the paper using the plastic canvas as a guide, then stitch it with embroidery floss.

Patti Barela said...

I have stitched on my scrapbook layouts, but on cards I prefer to "faux" stitch. It always adds a special touch!

Anonymous said...

I have yet to try the stitching, but with my new sewing machine, it's one of the things I'd like to try. I love the way it looks.

dclawson said...

I've never stitched paper myself, but I have purchased many pages from others. I love the way they look & have decided that sewing paper is on my list of things to do for 2010.

This Is My Fibro said...

I've stitched on scrapbook pages and even left the threaded needle on the page. That was cute. And I LOVE sewing buttons on pages and cards.

Marji Clubine said...

I love the look of stitches. The stamp sets that we have with stitching are really cute, but the texture of the actual stitching just can't be recreated any other way!

Pam said...

I love to do hand stitching & machine stitching on my pages! But I do have to admit that I have used the stamps also! You get the same effect and it takes a whole lot less time!

Anonymous said...

I have tried stitching on cards, but it's not for me. I use stamps now for my stitching.

Unknown said...

I've hand-stitched on my layouts, but not often. The stamps are a great idea!

Corrie said...

I have machine stitched on layouts but never done handstitching. I love the look of the handstitching but have been afraid to try

dclouser said...

I love faux stitching and paper piercing and have finally acquired a sewing machine so I can do the real thing. Can't wait to try it! It looks so great on peoples' projects.

LaJeania Hicks said...

I machine stitch on almost every layout now. I just doesn't look finished to me without sewing on it! I like to handstitch on my cards also.

Erin said...

I have stitched on projects, but it is SOOO Much easier to just use Simple Stitches. And I can't wait to get the new stitches set--?Togetherness?

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try.

Beth said...

Ilove stitching on projects but am often too lazy to haul out my sewing machine.

Twyla Norris said...

I always hand stitch on my layouts. To me, it is a lot easier than dragging out the machine. I also like the way t looks better than machine sewing...nice and symmetrical.

Anonymous said...

Can't think of a better way to warm up on a cold winter day! Stitching on paper in front of a cozy fire warms your hands and your heart!

farmmom310

Rebecca Landin-Smith said...

I have used a sewing machine on a card and it came out really nice, but I prefer to stamp to get the stitching look on paper crafts. Changing the color of thread is so much easier with ink pads! I will take time to poke holes if it is a very special project. Most of the time I just stamp and I think it looks great!

Cindy said...

I like to stitch with Waxy Flax....so easy and such a great effect!

Noreen Smith said...

My sewing machine doesn't seem to like paper, but I do add some hand stitching and faux stitching every once in a while! Love the look!

Anonymous said...

yes but not recently, i need to get my machine out again.

featheredheaven said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I have seen some pages and many cards that have stitching on them and loved it. I really didn't know what would be best for doing something like this. I think I would be too nervous to machine stitch, but the hand stitching sounds wonderfaul as does the stamped stitching!
Thanks

Diane said...

I love using my sewing machine on cards and layouts. I also enjoy hand stitching flowers circles and stems. Great way to add texture without a lot of bulk.

Krista Heres said...

I really appreciate all the great tips! I have the Simple Stitches set and have used it as faux stitching but hadn't thought of piercing the paper to make it look more realistic! I have hand-stitched on cards before and will definitely use the stamps and/or pre-piercing for a neater look. The hand-stitching is a nice touch that makes a hand-made card look like you went above and beyond to put even more time and effort into it.

Lora said...

I've done hand stitching and faux stitching on paper craft projects. I love the look and the extra detail it adds to a special project.

Myra Grodzuik said...

When I hand stitch on paper I use a smaller piece of thread than I would on fabric. I find that the paper snags the thread so smaller pieces are better it gives a less fuzzy look. I only hand stitch on special projects because of the time it takes but the results are fabulous.

Debbie said...

I tried stitching for the first time last year. Then I was hooked. I had a lot of embroidery floss on hand that wasn't getting used, so that was also exciting. It just adds that special something extra.

Laura said...

Wow, I have not hand stitched on paper until today at our club's January Workshop on the Go. I will be adding this techinque to my portfolio. In the past, I have machine stitched felt hearts to cardstock to make Valentine's Day cards.

Heidi said...

I have always been afraid to try it but now that I have it is soooo easy! And Fun too! I found it is easier to stitch using only a couple of threads from the embroidery thread length. It is not so bulky and has the same look! Plus it saves $$!

Tonya W said...

Stitiching has become one of my favorite techniques. This wonderful technique was featured in the Grace WOTG last fall and I fell in love!!!! I have used it on several different layouts and cards since then! Thank you CTMH for being so F, S, & E!

Laurie @ Laurie's Little Bits of Creativity, etc. said...

I do have the Simple Stitches set and have used that for faux stitching. Even though I am a sewer I have not yet incorporated it into my scrapbooking or cardmaking. Guess I am a little nervous about trying it. I promise I will attempt it. I love the look.

Karen said...

Ihave stitched on some layouts but dragging out the sewing machine is too much work so I love the 'faux stitching' with Simple Stitches and the next stampset Togetherness!

Unknown said...

I LOVE SEWING on my layouts and cards....it is one of my favorite techniques

Lagene said...

I Stitched the title of aLscrapbook LO that documented my grandson opening his Christmas present which was a Standard size quilt i made for him.

Debbie Taylor said...

I LOVE the look of hand stitching. The first time I used the technique was on layouts in my Covention 08 Album Contest submission. Since then, I've done hand stitching on cards and layouts with embroidery floss and sassy strands. On occasion, I will use my Simple Stitches stamp set, which is fast and gives a good effect. I am planning to purchase the Togetherness stamp set - I am sure it will be one I use frequently too! The best thing about "stamp" stitching is, with CTMH papers and inks, you always know the colors match!!

Unknown said...

The Simple Stitches stamp set has long been one of my favorites and when I don't mind getting the entire machine out I enjoy actually stitching the paper in the sewing machine!

Jessica said...

I hand stich and have used my sewing machine as well but I am a chicken I am so scared that I will ruin my paper! The look is amazing though.

Annmarie said...

I've hand stitched on cards and a scrapbook page. As well as stamping stitches on my page! I can't wait to purchase a sewing machine so I can create amazing pages and cards.

Abbey said...

I love stitching on layouts and cards. It adds such a personal touch to both....leaving no two layouts or cards the same. Love this project of the box !!!

Cathryn said...

I've been tempted to buy one of those mini sewing machines to use on papercrafting projects. But, until then I use faux stitching techniques. My favorite is to use the piercing tool to make holes and then draw the stitches between them with a marker.

Simonetta Bois (Simmie) said...

I have sewn on layouts and cards. I find it can be difficult on a 12x12 layout but I always manage. I love the look of it.

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Stitching is beautiful on papercrafts. I tend to do more faux sewing than any of the other kind of stitching.

:-)

Kelly S. Ferndale, MI said...

I have tried one of those little sewing machines and alas it always got tangled or had to be rethreaded every couple of stitches but I could try it with a paper piercer and thread, sounds much easier but I am definitely going to check out the CTMH website for the stamp set and some examples.
Kelly, MI

CathyCrafts said...

duh.....feel so dumb! I never thought of hand stitching, I have used a stamp but kept thinking I needed to save up for a sewing machine !

Randy said...

I have never stitched on paper before, but I love the effect! I just bought the stamp set Simple Stitches and do faux stitching. It works out well!

ajk said...

Never tried it myself. Would love to have the opportunity! It looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I've tried a few small projects but I think they started making the eyes of the needles much smaller than they used too! I do like the look but ofter turn to my stamp set simple stitches. Thanks for all the chances to win. Karen in Illinois

Unknown said...

I love the stitching look but don't like the trouble of taking out my sewing machine.
So I use the hole punch technique and connect the dots with a marker. Looks like real stitching!

Shannon said...

only done foe stitching! Someday I will have a space to have a sewing machine out and try it!!
Shannon

Julie Decker-CTMH Independent Consultant said...

Love to stitch a pocket to hold multiple papers on a scrapbook page-nice and sturdy and pretty too!

Unknown said...

I haven't try stitching yet but hope to this year.

Rachel E said...

I have used machine stitching in place of adhesive. I love the texture and feel of it! I mostly use my stamps as I can be bothered digging out my machine from the bottom of the closet. I love the idea of piercing the paper to get the look of stitching! Thanks for the great technique idea!

Marcie said...

Funny thing, I've used a sewing machine since before high school and created many clothes and gifts but have yet to use it on a layout or cards. Love the look, though! I have done "stamped stitching" which give a great look. I think heat embossing the stamped stitches would really give so great texture. Off to give it a try!

Deb30906 said...

For one layout, I used a tracing of a flower from Bella and used it for a template to sew on the cardstock I used with the background paper.

Christine Healy said...

My second favorite hobby to papercrafting is sewing/quilting so OF COURSE I've stitched on paper :) In fact, very recently I created a card using the Animal Cookies Creative Basics papers and hand-stitched a border with matching embroidery floss. Loved the way it came out!

Michelle said...

I love to stitch on paper. I don't always remember to but I love the look!! I'll have to break out my sewing machine again!!!

WhyamIdoingthis said...

I totally copied the idea on the website...love when you all do these speciality blogs!

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 234   Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2009–2010 Celebrate National Papercrafting Month with Felicity!
All rights reserved worldwide. Downloading or copying this Web page or images therein is a violation of copyright.